• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT 710 info ?

It looks like there's a crap ton of information here on this thread, brother. What exactly are you wanting to know? Anything in particular?
It could be that YouTube is your friend, and may have some of the answers. Do a deep dive and see what you find.
73's

I've done all the youtube. Done all the research, but not being a ham at this stage its all paralysis by analysis. I have far more information than I can understand or categorize. The question is I suppose are there any defining features or lack of, besides the ones I do understand and listed that would cause a ham operator to choose one over the other. Or will either one be perfectly usable once I do eventually get a ham lic. Dropping over 1k on a poor choice is what I'm trying to avoid through others experience as I have none of my own as I am well outside my comfort zone here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brother DXer
Remove the IC-7300 from any later consideration.. Yaesu 710 for first radio/Hybrid SDR RX (y) ...Good ears...Suggest a good external speaker be used. I would also consider a fair to good "studio/communication" microphone. You have TX/RX EQ's built-in. Price break at present time the 710 is a no-brainer IMHO.
Now if you plan on jumping in with both feet, then the "medium" price choice would be the Yaesu FTdx10 ....my 2 cents

They show out of stock again...next batch is coming/..he's sold like 40 of those since price drop(might reserve one):ROFLMAO:

Perfect. Ty BJ that's the information I was seeking. I am intending to buy from that site they had one left but before I could come to a decision it sold.
The do have the AAES combo but I have plenty of speakers already. I will see if I can reserve one of the field model at the sale price. I had actually looked at the FTDX10 as you advised but was wary of stretching the budget another 500 to get started.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJ radionut
I was hoping I could run Turner +2 or +3 / D104 Astatic with it with the proper adapter of course or do I need an electret element? I'm sure once I do exams etc and get into ham I'll probably fall victim to the heil craze.

• Wow
Reactions: BJ radionut

Just tell'n ya as I see it Bandit...buy smart first...minimize bs...
Get your General...The bands are coming alive, but this looks to be a quick burning cycle...Peak next year??? Hope not, but times awaiting how this cycle plays out...
SAME GOES FOR YOU TO "CHRIS!!!"
That's all I was asking for. Some straight forward no BS advice from some Elmer's.
And I agree "1st lost is best" as they say. Pay the money upfront and minimize confused spending later. I appreciate the advice.

I have both the 7300 and dx10. Not the same as the 710, but very similar. The factory hand mics sound pretty good on both radio's but I have an Icom SM-30 on the 7300 and a Heil PR-30 on the Yeasu now because I don't like hand mics. Icom likes electret, but I don't think a d104 or Turner would sound good on either. The 7300 is easier to figure out and operate but the dx10 has way better receive on HF bands. Both work great on 11m, just don't expect that big forward swing on AM like a cb radio. These sdr radios are a different animal. Both have a waterfall that's handy for finding signals across the band. The Icom can display 8 meters at one time where the Yeasu only displays 2. For 11m rag chewing with the opting to listen to other bands, the 7300 will make you happy. If your planning on getting your general, the yeasu would be my choice. Not sure about the 710, but the dx10 has a lever under the vfo to increase or decrease the effort needed to turn it. The 7300 doesn't have that, but I'm fine with the feel of it. Tough decision for sure, that's how I ended up buying a 7300 and dx10.

Reactions: lonestarbandit
I have both the 7300 and dx10. Not the same as the 710, but very similar. The factory hand mics sound pretty good on both radio's but I have an Icom SM-30 on the 7300 and a Heil PR-30 on the Yeasu now because I don't like hand mics. Icom likes electret, but I don't think a d104 or Turner would sound good on either. The 7300 is easier to figure out and operate but the dx10 has way better receive on HF bands. Both work great on 11m, just don't expect that big forward swing on AM like a cb radio. These sdr radios are a different animal. Both have a waterfall that's handy for finding signals across the band. The Icom can display 8 meters at one time where the Yeasu only displays 2. For 11m rag chewing with the opting to listen to other bands, the 7300 will make you happy. If your planning on getting your general, the yeasu would be my choice. Not sure about the 710, but the dx10 has a lever under the vfo to increase or decrease the effort needed to turn it. The 7300 doesn't have that, but I'm fine with the feel of it. Tough decision for sure, that's how I ended up buying a 7300 and dx10.
Thank you for this additional insight.
I will be on 11m to start with however I am studying starting now for the 1st step on ham. I believe the FT-710 does not have the adjustable resistance of the VFO. Perhaps one day I will pick up a 7300 but it sounds like most of you are pointing in the 710s direction as a jack of all trades radio. I also prefer a desk mic but suppose I will start out with the stock hand mic.

Last edited:
Please Elmers, im begging ya, I need more opinions so I can make a informed decision before global supply / demand restrictions starts pushing price increases.
7300 vs FT710 and I am coming around to the idea of at least getting my technician and or General eventually so all the feature set I dont presently need would be important later.....it's just I dont know what I dont know.... ya know? I'm drowning in a sea of indecipherable (at present) info from YouTube vids.

Get both, then no regrets...Maybe that's why I have so many radios...not really a practical idea...but then...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.