• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT 710 info ?

Heheh thanks @Crawdad It's already on order and fine, fine, BC. Lmao I get it but my vision slowly going so big monitor is huge plus. Yes Crawdad I did order an old DVI 22" monitor with ability for the top res the Yaesu can do @800x600 I think it was. I also read about people letting the magic smoke out by using adapters etc.
I bought the app for License study and slowly learning (so far failing the practice tests - more study required) . I'll start on chicken band but hopefully can at least manage to get technician eventually one hopes. Glad to hear the recieve filtering is top notch I have a noisy...QTH is it?
Done the breaker test it isn't me.
Good noise suppression is required here. Presently on a "Hear it" DSP speaker or I wouldn't even bother the noise is that bad.
Nice thing is latest firmware you can use wireless USB mouse to control the radio on the "TV" as BC calls it.
Mr. LSB,
I don't think you'll be sorry for choosing the 710. I also suffer with man-made noise (QRM) of varying levels and the filters, etc, have made it easier to deal with and much more pleasant audio.

I have no doubt you will make it through the Tech Exam, it's not that difficult with a bit of study. That will give you a big chunk of 10m and all of 6m, as well as all the UHF stuff. Once you get thru Tech, General is also not terribly hard with a bit of study, opening up most of the HF bands to you and some fabulous DXing when Mother Nature cooperates. I've had a blast on the 17, 15, 12 and 10 meter bands. 6m has also been fun for short openings and regional contacts, including several WWDX forum members. And your 710 will do them all quite well. You don't have to dump thou$and$ into antennas to find success, I've done quite well on wire dipoles and a couple of 6m Moxons.

7 3 sir, and best of luck.

Thanks Crawdad. I'm sure it's not that hard, just have to learn the basics as Im not used to ground stations, space stations and repeaters oh my. Just a learning curve. I am excited about the quiet filtering / recieve on the 710 everyone seems to talk about. Of course it's on backorder so no telling when it arrives but I look forward to it.

Reactions: Crawdad
At some point you'll want to check what firmware version your rig shipped with versus the most current version on the Yaesu website. I've updated mine once since I received it and the DNR and a few other functions were improved quite a bit.

7 3

Reactions: lonestarbandit
At some point you'll want to check what firmware version your rig shipped with versus the most current version on the Yaesu website. I've updated mine once since I received it and the DNR and a few other functions were improved quite a bit.

7 3
Yes Sir.
I saw that on YouTube. Once she's here and running we will have a look. The newest main software also supposedly addresses a deficiency in menu operations while using a mouse.

Reactions: Crawdad

Dear God if this what hams are like I may as well stay on 11m lol good lord hahaha.
I was literally crying with laughter though.
Might improve my outlook on life lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Brother DXer
Slightly annoyed at my solder job as I couldnt find my fine soldering iron tips and had to scarily do it with a standard one and let me tell you those pads are much smaller and closer together than they appear. Slapped some marine lugs and heatshrink on the power wires. The conversion was a success but operationally dear God. Still trying to find my modulation and keep power down where the box doesn't melt let alone NB and notch and other gibberish oh my.
May take weeks to sort out. Feels like I need more degrees than I have to operate this starship enterprise, and I've actually got a few, and they aren't enough! This thing makes me feel dumb as a turd. The manual is 180ish pages, which in true man style, I've read absolutely zero of.
But I CAN verify for the forum that the MARS mod posted earlier in this thread is correct and does work as I talked to probably the only local there is around here thats 20 miles away, so yes it is now unlocked the transmit. 20231111_194828.jpg20231111_194838.jpg20231111_195449.jpg20231111_195522.jpg20231111_202827.jpg20231111_202829.jpg20231111_212522.jpgncc-1701-d.jpg20231111_200021.jpg

Last edited:
I am loving this radio. As some said bit weak on AM audio but sideband is a monster. Have to be extremely careful not to smoke the input on the box. The speech processor certainly keeps those peaks up. Overall I would say the quality compared to the radios I'm used to is an extreme upgrade. I am now feeling I've wasted all my money over the years I should have just bought this and been done lol. I can't comment on most of the feature set as will take months to learn this thing. The notch filter is sweet and waterfall display is awsome.
Just threw the brisket in there as just sliced her up. Lunch is looking promising as it slow smoked all night. Oddly it refused to develop the thick smoke ring I usually get. Pretty thin one on it this time.

20231112_100727.jpg20231112_104314.jpg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Have to be extremely careful not to smoke the input on the box
What is this box of which you speak ? You're not trying to use a linear after the Yaesu are you ? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen very soon !
Wondering why you would need to run an amp when the radio already puts out 100 watts ? Remember, you need to quadruple power output to gain 1 s unit on receive. So if you are driving a 200 watt box, the receiving station is only getting you 1/2 s unit more ! And you are risking blowing up the box AND the Yaesu.
I would STRONGLY recommend running that radio barefoot or only into a proper high-drive ham amp (1Kw output) where you can run the radio at full power into it.

What is this box of which you speak ? You're not trying to use a linear after the Yaesu are you ? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen very soon !
Wondering why you would need to run an amp when the radio already puts out 100 watts ? Remember, you need to quadruple power output to gain 1 s unit on receive. So if you are driving a 200 watt box, the receiving station is only getting you 1/2 s unit more ! And you are risking blowing up the box AND the Yaesu.
I would STRONGLY recommend running that radio barefoot or only into a proper high-drive ham amp (1Kw output) where you can run the radio at full power into it.
Because I have it set to output 5 swinging 20 and the box takes care of the rest. These SDR are pretty cool you just tell it the output parameters and it does it. 1s and 0s are magic lol. I probably will get a ham amp next and let the FT loose but as I just dropped about 1300 on radio and mic etc that will have to wait and keep the leash on it for now.
Also this radio is not a 100 watt radio on AM it does 25 watts. You are conflating output figures. The 100 PEP is sideband.
The amp is a 4x2879 and I'm loafing it. Running about 300 watts PEP on ssb maybe 200 PEP on AM. Did you honestly think I would try to run a 2 pill behind this? A little credit please Sir.

Ah! It never occurred to me that you might be using it on AM ! I haven't used AM mode in at least 20 years now. Other than for hobby use on sideband, there is very very little CB usage in this part of Canada......

At one time there were truckers here on 1 and 19, but since the early 2000's they have all moved to what are known in Canada as LADD channels. There are four of them on VHF and LADD1 has been the de facto truckers channel in BC for at least 15 years now. I still sometimes see CB antennas on big rigs but I can honestly say that other than an occasional logging truck I haven't heard anything local on AM in a couple decades now.

So AM is not something I ever really think about LOL!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.