• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT-857D no output power on CW?

Brlux

Jan 20, 2010
I have an FT-857D and recently noticed a strange problem. It has nearly no output power on CW, Regardless of what it is set to 5-100W I only get about 10mW out on CW. AM, FM, SSB seem to work just fine.

It was first noticed when I could no longer tune with my LDG AT-100Pro. I press the tune button on the tuner and it keys up the radio through the ACC jack but since the power is nearly non existent they tuner gives up with an error indication. I noticed that when the ACC jack is used the radio generates a carrier but no CW tone. When I use the key jack I get the CW tone. Is this how it is supposed to be?

I tried a full processor reset and that did not fix the problem. I don't think it is a problem with the finals as the other modes put out what they should.

Any Ideas?

I have an FT-857D and recently noticed a strange problem. It has nearly no output power on CW, Regardless of what it is set to 5-100W I only get about 10mW out on CW. AM, FM, SSB seem to work just fine.

It was first noticed when I could no longer tune with my LDG AT-100Pro. I press the tune button on the tuner and it keys up the radio through the ACC jack but since the power is nearly non existent they tuner gives up with an error indication. I noticed that when the ACC jack is used the radio generates a carrier but no CW tone. When I use the key jack I get the CW tone. Is this how it is supposed to be?

I tried a full processor reset and that did not fix the problem. I don't think it is a problem with the finals as the other modes put out what they should.

Any Ideas?
dont you nedd a code key to get power out on cw?

How do you know it has only 10mW output? That is extremely low to read on any meter.

The tuner may activate the radio to produce a carrier to tune the antenna without producing a CW sidetone. When I press the TUNE button on my FT-857 while using the FC-40 autotuner the radio produces a carrier but no sidetone so I would say this is normal. The CW sidetone is simply an audio tone that is generated independently from any RF output.

Most definitely NOT the finals.

Any Ideas?

Is the Break In (BK) function active? See page 52 section 6 of the manual for details. Without the BK function active the radio will simply send a sidetone thru the speaker for CW practice and will not generate a carrier.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.