• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT-891 and noise gate

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
Hi guys, I have recently traded a bunch of old equipment for a Yaesu FT-891 mobile rig. I have set the rig's internal parametric eq to get the stock mic to sound pretty darned good, but would like to add a noise gate to cut the road noise/air conditioner blowing out of my tx.

W2IHY used to make a two band eq with noise gate, but it's no longer in production. There is a Russian guy building some 8 band eq's with a noise gate built in now (kind of big, and not sure about quality/rf issues), and a Behringer FBQ 100 or DSP 110 unit that is a noise gate and feedback killer. Is anyone aware of a nice, compact noise gate unit that will work via 12v out there?

Brett

Noise gate,downward expanders are ment for the shack, I think your best bet for mobile would be a noise canceling mic...... Just my two cents

Is the stock mic picking up road and a/c noise?
Don't even have it installed yet. Still playing with menu and settings in the shack. I have heard the recording at W2IHY's site where there is a mobile that uses his noise gate with the 8 band EQ, and the difference is huge. I know I'll be running my air conditioner full boogie this summer, and thought it would be nice to add a noise gate. I may end up buying the Russian dude's eq/noise gate, but will try the rig in the car first before spending any money.

Brett

Noise gate,downward expanders are ment for the shack, I think your best bet for mobile would be a noise canceling mic...... Just my two cents

I'll disagree with you there... to me, a mobile would be one of the best places to use a noise gate because of all the noise from the road, air conditioner/heater blowing, window down, etc. But as far as noise cancelling, I don't want to lose the scan features built in to the mic. Just may try an adapter and one of my RK-56's that I have laying around though.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated