• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT-897 ESSB

W1MSG

Now W1MSG
May 9, 2010
MA
Well I am on my Backup rig for a while, since the IC-9100 had to make a trip back to Icom.

I hate having lousy audio so I picked up a MD-100 mic and the radio had a 2.3 filter in it. So it didnt sound bad. The next logical step was an INRAD 726 filter which gives you 2.9 Hz in SSB. Now it sounds better, but I was still looking for that wide ESSB. I did some internet searching and saw where someone modified a 500 board with a 3.8 filter. Well I called INRAD and they sold me a # 724 Filter mounted on a board for the FT-897, and it was cheaper than the 2.9 filter. Total shipped was $147. I should have it Saturday and will post my findings then.

Craig

3.8 KHz hey? Just make sure you stay away from any DX windows or existing QSO's. Sometimes it is the receiver's fault but not when the transmitting station is actually inside the passband of the receiver.

Reactions: 1 person
I sure as hell ain't gonna move, nor will I be polite to a widebanded signal.

theres a bozo on 7.165.2 LSB,.... 10Kc wide, running the snot out of a SKYWALKER amp<can not stand it>

a group of us hang out on 7.173 and he buckshots ALL of us from FL to NY.

he says we don't know how to run our receivers.:blink:

Not to derail the thread, but I'm not seeing too many ESSB fans responding. :blink:

I guess I'm confused. I thought these filters only modified the receiver? I'm always looking to tighten up the receiver, so I have added 1.8 kHz Inrad filters to both my Kenwood TS-430S and my Icom IC-718. I also bought one for a Drake R-4C that I am tinkering with, but don't see as much difference as I did with the Kenwood and Icom. When I activate the filter, does it narrow my transmit as well?

RT307

Are you sure the opposite sideband and carrier supression will still be good going that wide?

I don't see any problem with his mod. Inrad filters are a very solid build. So long as he is 5kc's away from anyone else when he transmits and calls, he shouldn't have a problem. Of course, on some bands it may be a bit 'hoggy' but not so bad as to create a real problem - IMO. Sure he is already aware of this too.

It's just a secondary hobby. It all sounds the same to me...

I never open up my filters wide enough, so I never get to hear all the smooth mellow goodness anyways. You can have enhanced audio without going "wide".

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
theres a bozo on 7.165.2 LSB,.... 10Kc wide, running the snot out of a SKYWALKER amp<can not stand it>

a group of us hang out on 7.173 and he buckshots ALL of us from FL to NY.

he says we don't know how to run our receivers.:blink:

Has anyone looked at his signal with a pan-adapter or SDR with waterfall display to see if his signal is really that wide?

I've played with ESSB a bit on my K3. It's fun to see how good you can get your rig to sound and to see how others like it. There is enough room in the hobby for all types of activities as long as we're all courteous to others.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.