• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT-950 SSB Transmit Audio

waukeshajim101

Mar 19, 2014
Yes I am new.
Radio: FT-950
Antenna 1: Zero Five Multiband vertical
Antenna 2: Vector 4000 vertical.
Microphone: ATR30
IBox

Issue is: On some bands the transmit SSB audio when using the internal monitor with headphones sounds great. On other bands the SSB audio sounds terrible. Almost sounds like feedback. It's hard to describe what I am hearing. Has anyone else experienced this?

Depends...
What are your settings...
The FT-950 can remember settings/Audio Eq/Proc /can be on or off depending on where it was last time you used different bands...
You basically have (2) EQ's...
(1) with Mic EQ
(1) EQ with PROC on...they are independent settings
Either of these are on/off depending on Menu Settings and front panel controls....
Your Microphone type can be very important, depending on your voice.
Mic and Proc levels are sensitive also....
I never use a Mic level above 10 (mostly 8) and Proc level never above 5dB...
I use a Heil desk mic with HC5 element or Heil Gold Line Elite with Studio Element
Just a thought
All the Best
Gary

I have a Audio Technica T-1000 but it sounds best on my Kenwood rigs...seems a little "HOT"(on the High End) with the FT-950 or FTdx3000(even trying to roll-off some top end)....never used the ATR30 but reviews look good for $$ cost

Last edited:
Sounds exactly like RF in the shack. I just repaired my dipole and now I am getting rf in the shack on 15 meters. The audio is distorted but on other bands everything is fine. I will be moving the antenna to resolve this issue.

What you have is an RF feedback issue, check all your jumpers and coax ends (PL-259) a simple easy trick would be to run a ground wire from your antenna switch or I use the lightning arrestoe coax PL-259 -SO-239 adaptors with the groundlugs for ground wire connection and run a ground wire could be to a cold ater pip in the basement ETC just to see if simple fix can cure it before diving into it deeper. Also if radio and equipment has groundlugs hooked up double chech those connections aswell. I know it sounds obvious or stupid but Ive beeen through just about all of it and found at times simple things like I explained to cure most troubles.

Sounds like rf feedback. Does it do it on a dummy load? Does it change if you touch the radio ,cable or move the mic.? Does the swr change if you touch the radio or move the cable.Check your earth connections, as mentioned earlier. A choke on the feedline may help and if you can't keep the rf out of the shack try some of those clamp on ferites on the mic cord .

Just add a 1:1 Current Choke Balun inline either near the antenna or before the cable comes into the shack. Best cure for common mode current problems.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated