• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ft-950

johne2hotty

Nov 11, 2009
i bought a ft950 new i think it was in 2005 when they first came out but i have done no mods to it i think it was used 3 maybe 4 times anyhow i see there are mods. that can be done to it on the yaesu site but im lost as to what to do & how to do it do i need to do each & everyone 1 by 1 or can i do just one to do all of them at once & how do i go about doing these mods. thanks for any help in advance

FT-950 Software Updates

John: The mods you are asking about on the Yaesu site, are Firmware updates. These will change some functions of the DSP and control operation for the FT-950.
There are two specific downloads....one is DSP update....the other is main CPU updates.
They are both contained in the download from Yaesu. When you open the file after download to your computer there will be an instruction sheet(read me file) that gives you information as to how to transfer the updates to your FT-950...they must be done as stated or they will not transfer, but if you make a mistake it will not disable the radio just will not load.
You need only update the latest version of both files as they contain all previous updates.
I finished the latest ones a couple weeks back...WOW DSP I think is much improved, plus the RX noise threshold is much lower making the receiver much hotter. This latest also improves the 2 noise blankers software making them much more effective.

The FT-950 I have is about 2 years old D8XXX series(28th production run)...these updates work on the first of the 40+ production runs...
Yaesu has done a great job to keep improving the firmware of these great radios.
She'll be a completely new rig if that is one of the first production runs they made and she has never been updated.
GL
All the Best
BJ

im sorry i didnt word it right i should of said the yaesu updates that i have no idea how to do them i know enough to D/L them but do i need to D/L all of them or just 1 to get the 950 up to date & them how do i do it? thanks john

FT-950 Update info

Sorry to use so much space Mods...I could not figure how change to a link...maybe useful for others as well
All the Best
BJ

9/9/10
VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This update procedure is for the FT-950 MAIN and EDSP software. The MAIN software is for all lot
numbers. The EDSP software is different. Please verify the version of the radio by the serial number.

The third and fourth digits indicate the lot number, example xx
42xxxx. For lots 01 thru 42 proceed

with MAIN and EDSP software update. For lots xx

43xxxx and above install the MAIN only, do not

install the EDSP software.
You may also verify the current EDSP level of your radio (The software versions can be displayed on
the radio, see the below instructions). If the first digit of the number is 2 (example

20.45 1.13) Do not

install this update EDSP software, It is not compatible with EDSP level 2 radios.
Radios with lot numbers 43 and above, cannot operate with EDSP Ver. 11.54 software.

At this

time (7/12/2010) there are no updates for EDSP level 2 radios.
PEP950
This procedure is used to update Main CPU Ver. 0115 and EDSP Ver. 11.54 the
flash programming for the FT-950 Transceivers.
We recommend installing the Flash Programming Software on a PC computer with Windows 2000,
XP or Vista Operating System; and use the serial cable RS

-232C, DB9F to DB9F straight cable.

NOTE:

There are many USB adapters available; however some may not function with this software.

We recommend using the latest USB adapter driver software when available.
The software versions can be displayed on the radio
While holding the three buttons [GEN]

[50][ENT] turn the radio on. The software version will be

displayed in the VFO-A window for 5 seconds then the radio will start up in normal operation.
See below:

Example EDSP V11.53 and MAIN V1.12 software version.

*If you already have

EDSP V11.54 or V20.45, and MAIN V0115 software versions, it is not necessary to update

the FT

-950 again.

The software updates will work with all versions (AF, AS, EU, NA, OC, SA or all Countries) of the FT-950.
Main CPU:
Software version

01XX

(This image & version is for
illustration only)
EDSP:
Software version

11.XX

(This image & version is for
illustration only)
Ver. 0115 MAIN CPU implements improvements (9/9/10)
(This update Ver. 0115 MAIN CPU is for the FT-950 ALL lot numbers 01 to XX)

The “popping” sound audible during the FM mode CTCSS Tone Squelch setting procedure will no

longer be heard when pressing any buttons, after the procedure is exited.
Ver. 11.54 EDSP implements improvements (4/5/10)
(This update Ver. 11.54 EDSP is only for the FT-950 lot numbers 01 to 42)

Corrected FM TX for a slight frequency offset.

NOTES:
*Rotate the [METER] switch to select “COM” (Compression). We recommend setting the PROC level within the 5dB
to 10dB range.
*When menu settings are saved on the DMU-2000 CF card and transferred to the new version, some previous versions
may not transfer correctly. Please check your menu, update the settings, and then save the new settings to the CF card.
Install the data file to PC
1. Down load the FT

-950 data file [FT-950_PEP950_9-9-10.zip] from the following website:

Welcome to Yaesu.com
02F4E4D00EC99887A63E7B8ECD1B&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0
2. Save the FT

-950 data file [FT-950_PEP950_9-9-10.zip] to the desktop on your computer.

3. Unzip and Extract the contents of

[FT-950_PEP950_9-9-10.zip] to the desktop of your computer.

4. You will find the

PEP950_EDSP lot numbers 01 to 42 and PEP950_MAIN folders on your

desktop.
The programmer and software are now stored on your computer on the desktop. The files designated
in the last step above are ready to update your FT

-950 Transceiver.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
While using any update software, if you receive a “Communications Error !!!” message on your
computer screen, follow the below procedure.
When a

Communication Error !!! occurs, the Main Power must be turned off or the power cable

removed, and the programming software closed to reset the procedure. If the reset is not done the
communication will never be successful. Make sure the cable is connected correctly, the COM port
selection is correct, and the Bits per second default is set to 9600, (it is not necessary to change to
another Bits rate) before trying again. If you continue to receive

Communication Error !!!, you may

need to try another USB adapter cable or another computer.
MAIN Software Update
*Don't forget to write down (or save to a CF Card) any personal menu settings you have changed from the
default before you start. Please see the DMU-2000 Data Management Operation Manual for the procedure
to save your settings to a CF card.
1. Turn the FT

-950 OFF and disconnect the DC power cable (or turn OFF the power supply for FT-

950 and wait a minute, until the capacitors discharge).
2. Locate the program switch thru the access hole on the back at the rear right corner of the radio.
Carefully move the

PGM-SW to the RIGHT (program position).

3. Connect the serial straight through programming cable, DB9F to DB9F, connector to the serial
port COM1 in the back of your computer. Plug the DB9F connector to the CAT connector on the
FT

-950. If you use a USB to serial adapter, you might need to change the COM Port number.

4. Leave the FT

-950 turned OFF and connect the DC power cable (or turn ON the power supply for

FT

-950).

5. Now go to the desktop open PEP950_MAIN folder and find the

FSW005 icon as shown below.

Double-click the FSW005 icon, displayed on the Program Screen.
6. When the program opens, confirm that the file AH031_V0115.SFL is highlighted; if not, click on
it to highlight it.
7. Click "Configure" if necessary, to change the COM Port.
8. Click

WRITE. The onscreen progress bar will indicate programming activity.

9. When programming has completed, “Confirm” will be displayed.
10. Disconnect the DC power cable (or turn OFF the power supply for FT-950 and wait a minute,
until the capacitors discharge) and then remove the DB9 serial programming cable.
11. Thru the access hole on the back of the radio, move the

PGM-SW to the LEFT, (operate

position).
12. Reconnect the DC power cable (or turn ON the power supply for FT-950).
13. Press and hold in the [FAST] and [LOCK] keys while turning the radio back on. This resets the
radio and locks in the new software.
Carefully move the PGM-SW to
the

RIGHT (program position).

NOTE:

If you receive a

“communications error”
message on your screen, click
on the

Configure box and

choose a different COM port
from the drop down menu.
Then click the WRITE button
again. Please refer to page 2
for additional details.

Turn the radio off. The main CPU updating process is now complete. Follow the

instructions below to update the EDSP.
EDSP Software Update
This update procedure is only for the FT-950 lot numbers 01 to 42.

Radios lot numbers 43 and

above,

cannot operate with this update EDSP software.

This procedure is used for uploading new EDSP Software into the FT

-950 Amateur Transceivers,

from your personal computer, using the RS

-232C, DB9F to DB9F straight cable.

1. Turn the FT

-950 OFF and disconnect the DC power cable (or turn OFF the power supply for FT-

950 and wait a minute, until the capacitors discharge).
2. Connect a serial RS

-232C, DB9F to DB9F straight cable to the COM1 connector of your

computer and the 9

-pin CAT connector on the rear of the transceiver. If you use a USB to serial

adapter, you might need to change the COM Port number.
3. Reconnect the DC power cable (or turn ON the power supply for FT-950).
4. While holding the [SHIFT] + [WIDTH] + [CONT] buttons, press the front main power switch to
turn the radio on. You will see [

DSP PRG] on the radio display.

5. On your computer desk top open

PEP950_EDSP lot numbers 01 to 42 folder and find the

EDSP-V302

icon as shown below. Double-click the EDSP-V302 icon, displayed on the Program

Screen.
6. Click the Update button. You will see AH031H_V1154 out file displayed. If you do not see
AH031H_V1154 (as in the screen below), then open the “Look in:” window and go to the desktop
and find

PEP950_EDSP lot numbers 01 to 42. Open the folder and AH031H_V1154 will be

displayed in the window. Click AH031H_V1154 out file to

highlight it. Then click the Open

button and wait until the program is loaded, and 100% is indicated on the bar graph,
[Completion!!!] will be displayed.
7. Turn OFF the front Power Switch and disconnect the DC power cable (or turn OFF the power
supply for FT

-950 and wait a minute, until the capacitors discharge). This resets the radio and

locks in the new software. Remove the DB9F to DB9F cable. The updating process is now
complete.
After the update, it is important to reset the FT-950. Plug the radio back in. Press and hold in
the [FAST] and [LOCK] keys; while holding them in, turn the radio back on (this resets the
radio and locks in the new software).
NOTE:

We recommend trying the new factory default settings rather than transferring your old ones,

because of the changes in the EDSP and the Main CPU, you may wish to make new settings.
We hope this new software will increase your enjoyment of your FT

-950. Thank you for

choosing Yaesu radios. If you have any problems or questions please contact Vertex
Standard, amateurtech@vxstdusa.com Amateur Tech Support.
Best regards,
Mikio Maruya, WA6F
Executive Vice President
Engineering & Customer Service
Vertex Standard USA, Inc.
Vertex Standard USA, Inc. | 10900 Walker St. | Cypress, CA 90630 | 714.827-7600 | FAX: 714.827-8100
Welcome to VertexStandard.com
NOTE:

If you receive a “Communications

Error” message on your screen you should
check the COM port number and speed under
Device Manager. The writing speed
38.4kbps

is fixed in the download algorithm

of the EDSP board so you may need to set
the port speed close to 38.4kbps. Click on the
COM Select

box arrow and choose a

different COM port from the drop down
menu in the EDSP-301 writer. Please refer to

page 2 for additional details.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated