• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT101E 11m pos.

Yeah, no kidding!!! I cant find anything on it other than people talking about it

I thought you guys were smoking crack!, I have not been able to find anything on it.

I would think that if it RX on 11 then all it would need is to find what blocks it from TX, wouldnt it have the crystal in it already since it has an 11 meter switch and you can already RX?

I am awaiting membership approval here

FoxTango : International Fox Tango Club

IIRC, the circuitry for transmitting doesn't use the same crystal as for receiving, on any of the bands. With transmitting, it's pretty much a question of straight harmonics. For receiving, you have to consider the IF.

cut <or unsolder> the BROWN wire on the bandswitch to make the 101 Xmit in ALL bandswitch positions.....

warning this may be illegal where you live etc etc

and might piss off some hams who have nothing better to do <this said by a ham>

cut <or unsolder> the BROWN wire on the bandswitch to make the 101 Xmit in ALL bandswitch positions.....

warning this may be illegal where you live etc etc

and might piss off some hams who have nothing better to do <this said by a ham>

Ok, so there is only one brown wire on the band switch?

Ok, so there is only one brown wire on the band switch?

uh, yeah. as hooked up from the factory, it just bypasses XMIT when in the 11m position. when cut.....the radio XMITs the same in any switch position. that portion of the 101e is essentially the same as the 1st 101's that DID XMIT on the 11m position from the factory. the later 101e's that had the AUX position did XMIT there because nobody thought CBers would go to the expense of purchasing a crystal just to use the radio on 11 meters.....oh the ingenuity of a CBer ;-)

The FT102 can be changed to 11 meters by clipping certain, diodes been a long time since I owned one, actually had 2 of them.I was able to retain 10 meters by installing a discrete switch under the radio,as a matter of fact the 102 ,s had the best receiver ever built, even better than anything made today plus they were a kick ass transmitter but they did have their problems with relays which was not a big deal to switch out.I will be on the lookout for one again someday.
Bob

I've owned 6 different generation 101's over the years, My favorite, and the nicest performing one I had was a 101F which was the last in the long line of revisions. All of them I had included an 11 Meter position on the Band Switch, they would all run slightly below one, and about .555 on the included crystal, more coverage required purchasing a new crystal, 27.5-28 was most popular... I only had to actually Mod the 101F and it was indeed a clip of the brown wire.

Wow, I havent checked in, in awhile but this thread became quite the discussion. I havent modded mine yet, Not sure If I want to mess with such a pritine rig! I posted pics of her in the station and mobile pics thread. I did however look on the band switch and saw the brown wire.

Ok I got the 101e in. hooked it up moved the the band switch to 11 meters. Guess what it hears but no transmit. I hear the relay click when keyed but no power output. Question is whats the mod. I guess if I am hearing 11meters it already has the crystals in. Is it the brown wire cut mod that need to be done. Where exactly should I look for this brown wire? Pictures would be a big help too.

Thanks

Iam wondering what serial # unit you have DXhound ? I have 3 FT 101 version rigs-Yaesu made many different FT-101s(E,EE,EX,a,b,c,d,and e,) and other Models.My rigs
were manfactured in 1972 and 1973.All I had to do was install 2 new hetrodine crystals
in the -11 an 10a bandswitch posistions on the main crystall board-(rx/tx) located in
the lower front right top side of rig-behind the mic gain control-carrier-thier are 12 xstl sockets -at far right side of xtl pcb-read right to left-1,80 mtr-2,40mtr-3,20mtr-4,15mtr-
#5,11mtr-het xtl-33.020-(26.000Mhz-26.500Mhz)#6,10a het xsl 32.520-(26.500Mhz-27.000Mhz)#7 het xtl socket left side top xtl pcb-10b-het xtl -33.520 (27.500Mhz-28.000Mhz)-you should not have to adjust the xtl trimmer board.I took all these crystals
out and installed 17 and 12 mtr hetrodine crystals for those bands and had to jumper the bandswitches in 2 spots to make my FT 101b transmit on the 30 mtr band (WWV)
JUST HAD TO JUMPER XMT posistion to a waffer on the bandswitch waffers.If you are going to keep this transceiver you need to get a Original Yaesu service manuel-explains and shows everything that these Super rigs could do.If thses crystals are installed in areas said above will work-I never heard of the" Brown-Wire Cut"Ive had 2 rigs out of the box new in 72 and 73-Truely a Highbread Rig still going strong today-Good Luck-be carefull -you can get said crystals from Jan Xtls in Fla.last I new-73/DX/DX A Old Bandit !
Paul K8PG

crystal size is HC25/U

Last edited:
6g 160623 is the serial number of this ft101e. It has the 11m band position and crystals installed. I can rx 27-27500 but when I key the rig I hear the relay close but no output, like someone had mentioned above. You can see a pic of the rig in the station and mobile pics thread.

this may help another mod but shows the crystal sockets

Converting 11 Meter band to 12 Meters for the Yaesu FT 101 series ..

Although this procedure hardly qualifies as a "mod" (too easy), it is certainly useful for the FT 101 series owner. Conversion to the 12 meter WARC band is as simple as replacing a crystal. The 11 meter xtal is replaced with a 30.52 Mhz 3rd overtone xtal in a HC-25/U holder as specified in the FT 101 series maintenance manual. No other modifications are necessary as the new band is close enough to the original that the current components work. To replace the xtal, remove the oop cover and find the xtal board located at right front of the rig.
Xtals marked xxxx are standard while oooo are optional on some units. X5, for the 11m, band is an option and may or may not be installed.

10B xxxx xxxx 80 10C xxxx xxxx 40 JJY/WWV (1) xxxx xxxx 20 160 oooo xxxx 15 xxxx oooo < X5 the "11 meter" socket .... xxxx 10AThe xtal was ordered from Marden Electronics (800-222-6093) although it is probably available from the other companies which offer this type of item. I'll skip the business details here, but it is cheap. I found fat fingers a hindrance when yanking the old and insterting the new so I used a hemostat (narrow nosed locking type device with "seconds" often found in hardware stores, etc.). After checking with a local ham who monitored my transmissions to make sure I was where I thought I was, I was in business with 12 meters for my FT 101B

also crystal #33.020 is above 40 hi 27 mhz? and 32.520 is below 1 they are saying 12 meters?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.