• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT8: New JT Mode for fast QSOs

I went over to a friends house so he could demo his system for me.
It worked intermittently but I did find it interesting. Where can I learn more about this? I know I studied all of this for my Extra Class license, but the course material did not cover much on the details of equipment and setup. Just band width power levels and the theory behind it all.
Here is a link for WSJT which has all the info you should need.

Basically you need CAT control so the JT65 or other digital modes software will key your radio automatically, then you need audio in and out to a computer soundcard which transmits and receives digital info from your rig.

You also need to have a time synced software program running on your computer to make sure your computer is running at the precise time. There are links on the WSJT page for free software like Thinkingman which runs automatically in the background. Correct timing is crucial for a lot of digital modes and the internet time isn't absolutely time correct.

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html

Most modern rigs have CAT or C-IV control along with audio in/out so the need for external hardware isn't always necessary.

What radio do you have that you want to use digital modes with?

Reactions: Tallman
My primary radio that I like the most is Icom 746. Others I used frequently, Icom 7100,
Yaesu FT-857. I noticed on the back side of the 857 there is a small USB port. I have not connected a computer to it and do not know if it works.

My primary radio that I like the most is Icom 746. Others I used frequently, Icom 7100,
Yaesu FT-857. I noticed on the back side of the 857 there is a small USB port. I have not connected a computer to it and do not know if it works.
Your 746 will need a CI-V cable for rig control and your audio lines will need to be tapped from the ACC 1 jack. There is a Ebay seller who makes up cables for these exact purposes if you don't want to make your own.

Your 7100 only needs a USB cable for both audio and rig control. There is a menu setting for USB audio data to be turned on.

Either radio would work fine.

Reactions: Tallman
Your 746 will need a CI-V cable for rig control and your audio lines will need to be tapped from the ACC 1 jack. There is a Ebay seller who makes up cables for these exact purposes if you don't want to make your own.

Your 7100 only needs a USB cable for both audio and rig control. There is a menu setting for USB audio data to be turned on.

Either radio would work fine.
The 7100 is it then! I could made some cables very quickly before 1999, now not so much. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: fourstringburn
The 7100 is it then! I could made some cables very quickly before 1999, now not so much. Thanks for the reply.
That'll be easiest for you.

Follow Camaro's advice because your radio may require a USB driver installed on your computer.

Check Icoms website for some type of USB audio driver downloads for the 7100.

I have to admit defeat. It is rare that I have to quit back off for a while. This radio and computer interface thing has me down and I'm going to tap out for now. The last time I was a WIZARD when it came to computers was back when DOS 5.0 was new.
I can't figure out how to install the drivers for the radio and I can't even begin to know what revision the firmware I have.
I have read manuals and webpages till I am cross eyed.

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
Don't worry about doing a firmware update yet.

The download you need should be the driver listed as,

USB Driver(Version 1.20), Driver Utility and manuals for the 7100.

This should just install automatically as a zip file with no configuration or any other settings by you.

Plug in the USB cable and check to see if your computer recognizes a new comport by checking the decice manager and clicking the comport icon.

Once installed, you should be able to install the WSJT software and see and select the new comport in the WSJT settings. There are a few other obvious radio specific settings to look for too.

Then select USB audio in and out in the audio settings menu tab.

Go back and to the main settings and look for a PTT button and click on it and if it turns green, you're good to go.

Good luck.

Reactions: camaro1
Here is some sreenshots that will show what you need to set.

The WSJT main settings is in the file tab, then scroll down to configurations, Then you will see the setup box come up. Set the General box 1st with your call,grid etc. Some of the other check boxes maybe default. If not, copy what you see here for now.

Screenshot (12).png

Below is the Radio tab in the set up box. Select radio, comport, and baudrate for your radio. Icom is generally set at 19200. Copy the other settings except the Handshake. Your radio probably needs to have "none" selected.

Screenshot (9).png

Now select your audio source for audio in and out. This is located in the Audio tab of the setup box. My radio also uses USB for both.

Screenshot (10).png

Now go back to the radio tab and click on the "Test CAT" button and it should turn green like in the pic below. Also click the "Test PTT" and your radio should key and this box will turn red. If everything tests correctly, congrats! your done with the initial setup.

Screenshot (9).png

I hope that helps a bit more. I would recommend starting off with JT65 first since it is much slower than FT8 mode to get a feel for it. This is easily done on the WSJT main page by clicking the mode tab.

I've been enjoying FT-8 quite a lot since trying it in July. I did a JT-9 QSO the other day and had forgotten that I need to manually select each message. I'm too used to the auto-sequence now!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated