• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT857d or IC7000

binrat

WDX Club Coordinator
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
The Great White north
OK, I'm getting a choice of radios or the cash. The Yaesu 857 is cheaper but missing things compared to the Icom 7000. Planned use will be in the mobile and used at fieldday etc. Also plan to open up the X-mitt for 11 metres as well.
Whats the thoughts on choice of radios?

sorry if it isnt what you asked but with what problems ive seen with those two id get a used kemwood ts-2000 and they make a small faceplate for dash use so you can put the radio somewhere else

Last edited:
but what about all the overheating problems and icom being so anal about honoring or admitting to warranty issues and charging so much for everything after the warranty is up? i know many guys who dumped there icoms and will never go back. go to eham and read the low reviews and that is the best warning

but what about all the overheating problems and icom being so anal about honoring or admitting to warranty issues and charging so much for everything after the warranty is up? i know many guys who dumped there icoms and will never go back

Operate the radio with a little common sense and overheating is mute.

That being said... I have had no problems with mine. I put it through heavy use. It's not a 100% duty cycle rig.
If ICOM is fighting owners over warranty repairs, it's probably because its evident to them that the owner is partly to blame.

Sent from my phone.

The planned us is mobile. That makes the Kenwood TS-2000 impractical. I've owned both or the radios in question and the Icom IC-7000 is leaps and bounds better than the 857D. I've never had any overheating problems with mine in the mobile.

i listen to alot of low band short wave hf and hear alot of unhappy newer icom owners. from what ive heard i wouldnt own one. and kenwood makes a small dash mountible faceplate for the ts-2000 so you can put the radio in the trunk or behind-under the seats and alot of guys i hear love it

I like our Yaesu FT-857D running it mobile for the past 3 years with not a single problem!! Nice compact rig.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3046

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5338

They have the same rating but the yaesu has more reviews the Icom is more exspensive and you have to remember that both these rigs need an external antenna tuner so with money you would save buying the Yaesu you could afford to buy the matching antenna tuner with cables needed ;)

i listen to alot of low band short wave hf and hear alot of unhappy newer icom owners. from what ive heard i wouldnt own one. and kenwood makes a small dash mountible faceplate for the ts-2000 so you can put the radio in the trunk or behind-under the seats and alot of guys i hear love it

How many is alot!?

The internet induced panic and gossip concerning the 7000 is blown out of proportion.

I on the other hand, have heard and talked to many satisfied owners. There's always a few bad ones.

Sent from my phone.

alot is enough to cause me to feel forewarned and to keep away. i like how they sound but i just would allways feel like i had a timer hooked to a detonater built into a radio made by a company that wants hundreds of dollars for any little repair. i also notice the 857s and 897s all sound like theres a toilet filling back up in the background of the audio but its hard to hear unless there close with a big signal

My vote goes to the 7000. I've been running one over 2 years now and have never had a problem with it getting hot. Even during long winded rag chew sessions it has never gone out of the blue into the red area of the temp gauge. A friend of mine has one and had an overheating issue, but it was easily resolved. He had the radio mounted in a cubby hole in his dash and didn't have sufficient open area around it for proper air circulation. :blink: What a dummy. We moved it out of the cubby hole and no more overheating. Like m42duster said, if you use common sense then overheating is not an issue. BTW - out of at least a dozen people I know that own a 7000 he is the only one that had a problem, and now that his radio is properly installed he no longer has a problem and loves his 7000.

the only problem i see with icom is you have to order the filters seprate.Thats why my new radio was the ft450d...very happy.Had TenTec and Kenwoods for yrs...Was thinking of the ts590...but talked to Dale at HRO and he said i would be happer with thFT450d...73s de JW

the only problem i see with icom is you have to order the filters seprate.

I'm not aware of any additional filters being required for the 7000. The DSP allows you to adjust the filter width and whether you want a soft or sharp shape. You can narrow or shift the IF passband away from QRM with the PBT. Maybe you're thinking about the 706?

IC 7000 all the way..

No heating issues ( and i bought them when they first came out at $1600 plus a couple extras i picked up as well )

I know 2 people who sold their TS 2000 and went to IC 7000

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.