• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT920 what MOD is this??

Don't get me started on the clowns at YAESU,

years ago i bought a new t100d, they were notorious for vswr icon coming on due to oscillation especially in mobile setups & many went back for updates including new radios before they were sold,

YAESU clowns did some ugly mods covering relays in copper foil soldering straps to coax connectors drilling the chassis, grounding clips for coax connections , different mods to different peoples radio's,

they clearly had no idea what was going on & were searching blind for a resolution,

my ft100d started doing the same thing so i was having a poke around & found that when i pressed the case hard at the rear it stopped, if i removed the case it stopped

looking inside i see copper foil right where im pressing & copper foil on the sides doing nothing at all because it was not making contact with the chassis they put it between the screw holes rather than over them where it would make a connection,

i got my meter out & found that the internal coating on the case was none conductive,
the only grounding was via the two small pieces of copper tape making a capacitive coupling & mine had gone tarnished,

the case was coupling rf from one place to another causing oscillation,

i remove the small foil and the useless foil on the sides & replaced it with wider longer stuff across the screw holes so it made contact with the chassis giving a MUCH better capacitive coupling for the case,

measuring my new grounding caps/foil i had about 20x the capacitance of the YAESU bodge if i remeber correctly

The stupid shit YAESU clowns did defacing my new radio at the factory were removed,

VSWR icon & oscillation as never returned.

i think AMPOWER is their tech at the factory.

Don't get me started on the clowns at YAESU,

years ago i bought a new t100d, they were notorious for vswr icon coming on due to oscillation especially in mobile setups & many went back for updates including new radios before they were sold,

YAESU clowns did some ugly mods covering relays in copper foil soldering straps to coax connectors drilling the chassis, grounding clips for coax connections , different mods to different peoples radio's,

they clearly had no idea what was going on & were searching blind for a resolution,

my ft100d started doing the same thing so i was having a poke around & found that when i pressed the case hard at the rear it stopped, if i removed the case it stopped

looking inside i see copper foil right where im pressing & copper foil on the sides doing nothing at all because it was not making contact with the chassis they put it between the screw holes rather than over them where it would make a connection,

i got my meter out & found that the internal coating on the case was none conductive,
the only grounding was via the two small pieces of copper tape making a capacitive coupling & mine had gone tarnished,

the case was coupling rf from one place to another causing oscillation,

i remove the small foil and the useless foil on the sides & replaced it with wider longer stuff across the screw holes so it made contact with the chassis giving a MUCH better capacitive coupling for the case,

measuring my new grounding caps/foil i had about 20x the capacitance of the YAESU bodge if i remeber correctly

The stupid shit YAESU clowns did defacing my new radio at the factory were removed,

VSWR icon & oscillation as never returned.

i think AMPOWER is their tech at the factory.
as long as they have diddled with my radio,they are loosing $$$ . Im waiting on it to come back number 4 trip. It should be replaced.if they do where it works right,its gonna go bye bye n no more yaesus will be added to my collection. Got 2 more im about to sell
My next buy be kenwood or icom

Reactions: Slowmover and bob85
Well Ill probably keep it it works great no issues found now I just want to get the FM unit the CW filter and the Am filter I ordered my antenna today a
EFHW-8010 by My antennas
then its just get my ticket hopefully I cant get the VE's to email me back

All major brands had their f*ck ups in designing transceivers.
Metal through holes in pcb's malfunctioning, PA's blowing up, etc the list is long, here Yaesu is no exception.'That is what you get if you mix designers and money pinchers in the mix.
Or get a bad batch of transistors like the FT991 had, I'm really having my FT991A running FT8 now all day from 2 meter down to 160 meter without a hitch.
Having 3 years warranty here I'm quite sure i will find any short comming long before that.
Now, the FT 847 is 22+ years old and runs like the day I bought it.
The FT2000-D is 12 years old still doing fine.
The F100 i had on my operating table and since then never had any problems with it not even in France with 40+ C, i DID replace the fans for better ones doubling the airflow though.
It is also 22 years old.
Now, how old is your car you paid much more for? ;)
Will that last 22 + years as well?
Or over 30+ years like the Heathkit SB-1000 that got rebuild after 25?

Reactions: BJ radionut
??ouch?? why yes they are expensive but Id rather pay for quality if that is what your inquiring :p

I'm glad you're getting on the air. My recommendation would be to use it and when you find a band that you like make a 1/2 wave dipole to compare it to.

A lot of new hams have an end fed and say they work great, but they've never had another antenna to compare it to. If the band is open almost anything works. I mainly work 75 meters and the end feds that I've heard have noticeably lower signal strength.

My preference is a doublet and balanced tuner. Not a T match with a built in balun or external balun on the output of the tuner. A balanced L or link coupled tuner can be built from scraps and work FB. The idea behind the balanced L is the balun is on the input and works into a 50 ohm load with low reactance at all times.

If you're a one band man a coax fed dipole is great. There are also fan dipoles if you don't want to screw with tuners and balanced feedline. Whatever you do get the antenna high up in the clear.

Reactions: Gunner357 and Tokin

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.