• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT920 what MOD is this??

Gunner357

KE8PSI
Jul 12, 2020
Highland Michigan
I just got this radio FT920 Yaesu And opened it to install some filter noticed this away its attached to the MB89133 chip
119665215_381282463034352_5983287979025015422_n.jpg
any clues ??

Last edited:

Doesn't look like the 920 MARS mod requires anything like that. So no idea... Looks like the inside of a "comp Cobra 29" Does it walk the dog and kit that cat? Maybe you have a limited edition "Competition tuned FT920"

Did you buy this new from a Yaesu dealer? That is the worst looking hack job I have ever seen! Flying wires and it id resting on Cardboard! I would send pictures of that to Yaesu and ask what the hell has happened to your Quality Control standards???

Last edited:
Sorry, a little CB geek humor. I'm very curious if anyone else knows what that may be for. Could be a repair or a mod of some sort. How does the radio work? Have you tried it on AM/SSB, etc. ? I hope you didn't get burned, I remember your recent thread where some of us were persuading you to pick up an HF rig instead of an export. Sound like your buddy that sold it to you has some 'splaining to do?

Reactions: Tokin
Sorry, a little CB geek humor. I'm very curious if anyone else knows what that may be for. Could be a repair or a mod of some sort. How does the radio work? Have you tried it on AM/SSB, etc. ? I hope you didn't get burned, I remember your recent thread where some of us were persuading you to pick up an HF rig instead of an export. Sound like your buddy that sold it to you has some 'splaining to do?
this wasnt anybody i know the radio works fine i did see some you tube videos showing FACTORY fixes off the line that looked very similar not the same location but using the same "CARDBOARD" so Im not sure what is going on BUT the number on the chip says its for the CMOS

Did you buy this new from a Yaesu dealer? That is the worst looking hack job I have ever seen! Flying wires and it id resting on Cardboard! I would send pictures of that to Yaesu and ask what the hell has happened to your Quality Control standards???
No private owner but I have seen work from Yaesu that looks like this before....

If you used PayPal I would start working on a complaint for refund. Unless the ad stated it was a tech special.
Im waiting to hear from previous owner to see what he has to say about it..... if i dont hear from him I'm filing a return due to undisclosed issues .. from there my Amateur radio days are going to be put on hold.....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.