• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FTDX9000 Repaired

OldTech03

Dec 15, 2017
Well, Customer picked up today after repairs to antenna switching board and Mars conversion. These are monsters 72lb's. He also wanted it freshened up a bit so the bezel and cabinet were given a fresh new look, It is quite the machine made contacts on 6 meters and 10 meters.

20200729_094255.jpg
20200729_094240.jpg
20200729_094050.jpg

YAESU discontinued these quiet quickly & quietly as well.They had lots of issues & some unhappy owners which I'm sure resulted in their demise.Have a friend in South Florida who had the 400 watt model & he got rid of it quickly & replaced it with an ICOM 7800 which he said is a far better transceiver.One of my neighbors also has an ICOM 7800 & it is quiet the Beast.

SIX-SHOOTER

They were not bad like my FT2000-D 200 watt transceiver but getting long in the tooth, developed 15 years back by now.
my new FT991a runs rings around the 2000-D on receive.

It seems like anytime a manufacturer makes a high powered rig, they generate so much heat, that they break down easy.... Probably why most rigs run 100 watts...???

My 200 watt FT 2000-D never ran warm always on 200 watts here with some long qso's in fact the fan never came on the 4 fets were mounted on a 2.7 kilo heatsink (7 pounds or so) even the fan in the separate psu almost never came on.
Only running 75 watts drive class A into the heathkit SB-1000 for spectral purity would get the fans running in their slowest rpm.

The FT 991A is lots smaller, the fan comes on relative quick but does not run fast even in long qso's
My old FT 100 mobile radio had 2 fans i replaced for higher cf/m and stayed relative cool after that.

The FT9000 and FT 2000-D are big radio's with lots of spare cooling and large fans.
i have a new fan for the FT 991A here more cf/m and much more silent as well, will replace the factory placed el cheapo fan with that soon.
Cost a bit more as well, but i don't take chances with my radio's.
I rather have some headroom.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.