• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FTM-350 communications with UI-View

n1lul

May 10, 2010
With the version 1.2 software upgrade it looked like the FTM-350 could finally be used as a input to UI-View.

After some messing around, I got it to work. I get a error message on start-up that the TNC is not responding, but that makes sense.

These are the settings that I have so far.

FTM-350

E-16 speed 4800
output- packet
E-17 APRS- sub-band
DATA- sub-band
These may vary depending on how you have your APRS set up

UI-View Comms setting

Baud rate- 4800
Parity- None
Comm Port- 1 (check to see what comm port you cable is plugged into)
Data Bits- 8
Stop Bits- 1
Hand Shaking- None
Host Mode- None
TNC Type- TNC2

Receive only- checked

Seems to work fine once it is up.

Hope this helps

Ray

Last edited:

APRSPoint

Got the FTM-350 v1.2 to work with APRSPoint via the COM port. RF stations received are appearing on the map.

E16 COM Port Settings: Speed - 9600 bps
Output - Packet

Got the FTM-350 v1.2 to work with APRSPoint via the COM port. RF stations received are appearing on the map.

E16 COM Port Settings: Speed - 9600 bps
Output - Packet

I downloaded the trial of APRSPoint and have it receiving the station APRS info. How do you get APRSPoint to show the callsigns of the stations? Right now it's just making my own position jump around on the map, thinking that my station is each packet received?

EDIT: OK, I got my station set so it shows and doesn't jump around. Now it's just not showing any of the reports from other stations. I can see the TNC Data coming in.

If you are using RF to receive the packets, go to "Comm" in the toolbar and select "Connect TNC". select "Serial Port" from the dropdown, then the COM Port associated with that serial port (you can type in any COM Port above 4 the documentation says), and set the baud rate to 9600.

Check off the 2 boxes at the bottom and press the save button (upper right corner)

Let me know if this helps.

Yep, that's what I did. I see two other stations on the map now after letting it sit for a while, but I see a ton on my radio. I wonder if the trial version just has some limitations?

Not sure why there would be such a difference between the two. Maybe it has something to do with the way the packets are processed by APRSPoint? There are also filters available in the TOOLS menu, but they are clear by default I believe.

I don't have my FTM-350 hooked up anymore in the house, so I can't tell if I'm having the same issue, but i do know I received many more stations from the servers than RF, but never compared the RF radio stations to the APRSPoint RF stations.

Next time I hook up the computer in the car (where the FTM-350 usually resides) I'll compare and report back.

OK, I've had it running for a couple of days to APRSPoint. It eventually shows the stations on the application, but it doesn't do it as fast as they show up on the rig. This is definitely an APRSPoint issue. I think I may try some other software.

I tried APRSPoint because I was looking for a APRS solution that would also do route planning and GPS tracking, however compared to the other mapping products (I use Topo from DeLorme for my off road stuff) the functionality of mapoint is limited.

I purchased a program called Overland Navigator, which is APRS compatible with the Kenwood radios but it just does tracking, not route planning. And I haven't gotten it to interface with the FTM-350 yet.

Now if only some brilliant programmer could develope an APRS interface with Topo USA...

Is there someone that can contact me. I need help setting up UI-View with my FTM-350AR. My email is my callsign @ arrl.net, or send me a private message. I need help. I'm clueless...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.