• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fuse Replacement Guide

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
Who hasn't blown a fuse only to find out they do not have the same value to replace it with? Here is a handy dandy replacement guide to use when you just cannot find that exact value you need to get back on the air.

26c5.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

I learned to hard way on the Midland 1001Z I bought off Ebay several months ago. It's 2 amp fuse was blown and I had only a ten amp fuse. After aticking the 10 amper in and turning the radio on and hearing some phishing noise and stink coming from the radio,I realized that the previous owner(Ebay seller)had reversed the cig plug connector leads to the radio. Protection diode blown but at what cost to the radio now with a ten amp fuse installed instead of the recommended 2 amper?
Heck,my brother when he was a youth found my dad's stash of thirty caliber machine gun bullets and fifty caliber bullets left over from the Korean War days. He drilled holes in a 2X4 piece of wood in order for him to use as a breach for said bullets so he can hit the primer with a hammer. He quit after the case on one exploded the wood breach he had made. Must of been faulty wood. :D

You wouldnt believe some of the stuf Ive seen and come accross in repairs and helping others throughout the years absolutely amazing!!...............

I learned to hard way on the Midland 1001Z I bought off Ebay several months ago. It's 2 amp fuse was blown and I had only a ten amp fuse. After aticking the 10 amper in and turning the radio on and hearing some phishing noise and stink coming from the radio,I realized that the previous owner(Ebay seller)had reversed the cig plug connector leads to the radio. Protection diode blown but at what cost to the radio now with a ten amp fuse installed instead of the recommended 2 amper?
Heck,my brother when he was a youth found my dad's stash of thirty caliber machine gun bullets and fifty caliber bullets left over from the Korean War days. He drilled holes in a 2X4 piece of wood in order for him to use as a breach for said bullets so he can hit the primer with a hammer. He quit after the case on one exploded the wood breach he had made. Must of been faulty wood. :D

Something was faulty alright but it wasn't the wood.

I used to have a neighbor who was originally from The Netherlands. He is dead now. Back just after the second world war he and his brother would gather up found ammunition and pound them into the tops of fence posts. Willem said it was OK until one hit a knot and came out the side towards you. :eek:

I had a fuse blow on one of my old Suzukis once. An old fella stopped to help and gave me some foil paper from his cigarette pack and wrapped the fuse. I wonder what the foil paper is rated?

I had a fuse blow on one of my old Suzukis once. An old fella stopped to help and gave me some foil paper from his cigarette pack and wrapped the fuse. I wonder what the foil paper is rated?

according to the chart,............ 250 amps

Ive seen even the old alumium foil that hardeez or resraunts used years ago used as a blown fuse repair. The trouble with these quick fixes is....... A fuse blows for a reason and is supposed to be that give point or weak link incase of trouble or a problem to keep a bigger and more costly repair or "repairs" from accuring.

Ive seen people blow a fuse and keep replacing it just to blow out there very last fuse and then use one of these backwoods methods or I even seen someone bypass the fuse and well the result is some scary stuff!!1 Metod components foil side of the board looking like a rollercoaster track at an amusment park because traces are melted and liften right off the board. Ive even seen a final transistor melted and cracked right down the middle damn near inhalf!!

If you are not positive that it was your fault or something you or someone else did to pop a fuse then chances are theres another problem that fuse popped and if replaced and a new fuse pops then its probably not a good idea to bypass the fuse or hardwire a connection because end resuly will not be pretty.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated