• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

G5RV Orientation

richardyoo

Aug 18, 2009
I plan on putting up my G5RV antenna tomorrow and I was wondering if there was an opinion to which direction it should be hung?

I'm in Houston, TX so I'm about a bit south but otherwise in the middle of the US...

I was going to hang it North-South... but now I'm wondering if it should be East-West? Or if it mattered at all?

N5YOO

Horizontally, if it's center fed I wouldn't think a direction matters.

It will be horizontal... I'm trying to find out if putting it north-south or east-west or any other variation would matter... I know its not omnidirectional so it must matter somewhat, no?

What bands, or what's the lowest band you'll be using the thing on? They really don't become very directional until something like a wave length above ground. They get 'sort of' directional at about 1/2 wave length above ground.
A lot of things affect the shape of an antenna's radiation pattern, but height does make a difference.
- 'Doc

Mine runs NE-SW at a height of 9.144 m. (The ladder line which runs verticaly from the intersection of the two poles is 30' (9.144 m) to the balan.) Works equally well in any direction. I eventually would like to move it further away from the house though.

Mine runs NE-SW at a height of 9.144 m. (The ladder line which runs verticaly from the intersection of the two poles is 36' (9.144 m) to the balan.) Works equally well in any direction. I eventually would like to move it further away from the house though.

:oops:Actually, 36 ' = 10.9728 m

I ended up getting the antenna about 30feet in the air with the ladder line coming straight down... its pointed NE-SW... we'll see how it does.

I actually don't have a band preference - this would be my first HF antenna... should I have a preference?

I actually don't have a band preference - this would be my first HF antenna... should I have a preference?

Listen a lot for the answer.

That antenna won't have much directivity on the lower bands but will have a pattern on 40/20/10. Maybe someone can post an EZNEC plot for you.

Rather than fret about whether a simple antenna will "work" if installed North/South, or maybe North-northeast by east/South southwest by west, or if it's at 28 feet or 32 feet, or any other such details -- just put the darn thing up and try it. And take notes. Learn from doing.

Rather than fret about whether a simple antenna will "work" if installed North/South, or maybe North-northeast by east/South southwest by west, or if it's at 28 feet or 32 feet, or any other such details -- just put the darn thing up and try it. And take notes. Learn from doing.

That's precisely what I did, by utilizing the available trees to hang it from.;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.