• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

gainmaster vs i10k a quick test with locals

I10K an MY A99

Have read a lot of what has been said on this post, Did some testing myself at this location in AZ, I use a A99 at app 38' to the bottom on a floating steel mast that is 26' long with 100' RG 213 coax, because it went up easy and stays up in strong winds! Did compare the A99 to a I-10K a IMAX 2000 and a MACO 5/8s to a mobile unit 20 miles away many times, an on peak signal the I-10K at app 24' to the bottom could receive the same signal peaks as the A99 at 38' to the bottom, I could not raise the I-10K to that hight. The IMAX and the MACO had less signal peaks on them on both T&R than the I-10K an the A99 did. I have just ordered a HGP-500 today an will receive it in a week. I still have the mast setup that I used for testing up there, so can duplicate the height of the I-10K and see how the HGP-500 compares to the A99 at 38' an the I-10K at 24' that:blink should give me some answers about the HGP-500 ...............Oldtimer:mellow:

Reactions: Marconi
Have read a lot of what has been said on this post, Did some testing myself at this location in AZ, I use a A99 at app 38' to the bottom on a floating steel mast that is 26' long with 100' RG 213 coax, because it went up easy and stays up in strong winds! Did compare the A99 to a I-10K a IMAX 2000 and a MACO 5/8s to a mobile unit 20 miles away many times, an on peak signal the I-10K at app 24' to the bottom could receive the same signal peaks as the A99 at 38' to the bottom, I could not raise the I-10K to that hight. The IMAX and the MACO had less signal peaks on them on both T&R than the I-10K an the A99 did. I have just ordered a HGP-500 today an will receive it in a week. I still have the mast setup that I used for testing up there, so can duplicate the height of the I-10K and see how the HGP-500 compares to the A99 at 38' an the I-10K at 24' that:blink should give me some answers about the HGP-500 ...............Oldtimer:mellow:

Well Walter, I believe what you report, but you may get some grief regarding the height issues you note. I also have trouble getting my big old I-10K, up as high as my other antennas. At its highest I still worry about the wind taking it down or bending my pushup pole. As a result, I've not given it a fair test.

My I-10K comparison efforts in the past all have covered a short period of time, and the number of signal reports were limited to a few contacts. That said however, I have never been so impressed with my I-10K, that I became determined...to make sure it was secure enough so as not to worry about the wind.

Also, I have no reports comparing my A99, with my I-10K, side by side, but here is a recap of some reports covering both during a month late last year.

View attachment Recap of Signal Reports 20 - 23.pdf

Keep us posted.

Last edited:
i have no doubt the p500 is a good antenna,

"[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]The ground planes are also very effective on the P500 with reduced RF current detected the farther away you probe from the mounting bracket and feedpoint" :laugh: :laugh: a real eyeopener.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

i have no doubt the p500 is a good antenna,

"[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]The ground planes are also very effective on the P500 with reduced RF current detected the farther away you probe from the mounting bracket and feedpoint" :laugh: :laugh: a real eyeopener.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

don't all elevated ground elements have "reduced RF current detected the farther away you probe from the mounting bracket and feedpoint" ?

Marconi,
Thanks that neat stuff, the only difference that I saw between the two antennas was on AM where the carrier on the A99 was higher than the I-10K, but under modulation both signals were the same on peaks, think if I could have the I-10k up there at the near same hight I would like to see what that would be. After I get the HGP-500 built and all thing worked out, will do testing to my mobile and check it against the A99, will publish my findings! Never done any modeling of antennas but have done a lot of A/B testing over the last 35 years and could not believe how things are not always way they were advertised, I pay the price an check myself against a referance antenna so there is less dought.................Oldtimer

Marconi,
Thanks that neat stuff, the only difference that I saw between the two antennas was on AM where the carrier on the A99 was higher than the I-10K, but under modulation both signals were the same on peaks, think if I could have the I-10k up there at the near same hight I would like to see what that would be. After I get the HGP-500 built and all thing worked out, will do testing to my mobile and check it against the A99, will publish my findings! Never done any modeling of antennas but have done a lot of A/B testing over the last 35 years and could not believe how things are not always way they were advertised, I pay the price an check myself against a referance antenna so there is less dought.................Oldtimer

Walter, I've been in 2 way radio since the 70's, but my base antenna testing started in about 1992 when I retired. Prior to that I was just interested in mobile operations. I never believed the advertising, so that was not an issue with me, but my antenna curiosity started when I heard guys making claims on the radio about certain CB antennas, that I disagreed with. Then later, when the Internet opened up for us pilgrims, I really got into studying the subject as much as I could understand.

I do the same, I pay the price and talk about my experiences.

I hope you keep us posted about your experience with the new SP500, because just recently we had a report on one that was just been installed and made an unbelievable difference in TX/RX signals...from S5 to S9+ or in the cherry patch as it were.

When doing these antenna comparisons, isn't it important to test with stations which are varying distances away from the source? Due to varying angles of radiation, antenna A might work better at < 20 miles, while in the same test antenna B might out perform at distances of > 20 miles.

Also, can we say with certainty that the best/strongest antenna for local / ground wave communication is also the best for 'DX' ?

Last edited:
just who is tech883? some say he delivers pizza for meals on wheels and when he gets a tip he break dances for 25 seconds. others say hes really the stigg:unsure:

just who is tech883? some say he delivers pizza for meals on wheels and when he gets a tip he break dances for 25 seconds. others say hes really the stigg:unsure:

You should know who this is NB, I think you posted the link to his article above. If you're going to check him out, maybe you should get his handle right, it's not 883.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.