• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 2 radio issues

The ground wire for the counter module was connected to the front panel controls. Taking this wire loose (probably blue) and lengthening it will allow you to ground the counter module near the big filter cap towards the rear of the pc board, near the audio chip.

That's what we discovered helps best years ago.

The ground wire for the counter module was connected to the front panel controls. Taking this wire loose (probably blue) and lengthening it will allow you to ground the counter module near the big filter cap towards the rear of the pc board, near the audio chip.

That's what we discovered helps best years ago.

Thanks much! Will that help with the frequency counter noise?

That's the intent. The digital switching noises you hear are aggravated by using the ground wire that serves the volume control to also ground the counter module. This "piggybacks" the counter's internal noise onto the receiver-audio circuits.

Moving the ground point for this noise current back to the vicinity of the main filter cap tends to reduce it a lot.

That's the intent. The digital switching noises you hear are aggravated by using the ground wire that serves the volume control to also ground the counter module. This "piggybacks" the counter's internal noise onto the receiver-audio circuits.

Moving the ground point for this noise current back to the vicinity of the main filter cap tends to reduce it a lot.

That makes alot of sense, especially since its sharing a ground with the volume knob. I really appreciate that. As far as having it recapped, I've heard of folks having that done. Will it be difficult finding capacitors for the ept360010a board or should it be fairly universal? It looks very similar to the ept360014 board that DX galaxys use. And how much do shops typically charge for that? I've heard of people having it done but I've never had to get any of my radios recapped. I really do appreciate your help.

I have been trying to find something on ebay to do a recap on those boards. I have not found it. They are all ranger boards. Should be simple. I will get back to you if I find a kit. PS be dialed in your soldering. You need to be better at desolding than resoldering. Loose no trace or pad from overheating.

I have been trying to find something on ebay to do a recap on those boards. I have not found it. They are all ranger boards. Should be simple. I will get back to you if I find a kit. PS be dialed in your soldering. You need to be better at desolding than resoldering. Loose no trace or pad from overheating.

Honestly I'm going to have someone else do it. That's way out of my league. It's just a matter of finding who I'll have do it. I'm certain I can find someone along i10, i20, or i40 between CA and FL who can do it.

The ept360010a is just an earlier board version. Now, if your are good with a soldering iron and related equipment, a re-cap is just time consuming. Not really hard per say other than remember the polarity of the removed cap and how the replacement cap goes in.

I have ran into situations where the silkscreen on the board did not match up with how the cap was oriented from the factory. Or some caps will have the positive lead going to board ground for that particular circuit.

Yeah the counter has plugs, (hence the header pin suggestion). Which is why I cut the board ground wire on the radio harness side and made it longer, then solder it back to main PCB ground at the rear of the board.

Reactions: Tbone725
The ept360010a is just an earlier board version. Now, if your are good with a soldering iron and related equipment, a re-cap is just time consuming. Not really hard per say other than remember the polarity of the removed cap and how the replacement cap goes in.

I have ran into situations where the silkscreen on the board did not match up with how the cap was oriented from the factory. Or some caps will have the positive lead going to board ground for that particular circuit.

Yeah the counter has plugs, (hence the header pin suggestion). Which is why I cut the board ground wire on the radio harness side and made it longer, then solder it back to main PCB ground at the rear of the board.

I think I'm going to do it, yall are giving me to much confidence in myself lol. I'll probably just order up that recap kit for the 014 board and give it a try. And in the process move the counter ground out back. Wish me luck fellas.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.