• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 73V keeps on switching channels on me....

Someone brought me a Galaxy 73V that has seen it's share of duty from it's looks. Although it transmits and recieves just fine, it keeps on changing channels on me.

It has that 3 position switch with channel 6, 19, 21 and the one next to it that says fixed, off, and 10khz. If I am correct the fixed means it stays on 6, 19, or 21 depending on what is selected, Off means off, hence normal operation, 10Khz is 10Khz jump (up one channel basically).

Why is it that when I am using the radio in OFF it still switches back to 6, 19, 21 depending on which one is selected?

I have to key the mic to go back to the channel I wanted it on. Then within a second or two, it switches again, back to 6, 19, or 21 WTF?

I thought maybe the switch was messed up but it appears to be okay. It jumps in 10khz and stays fixed on 6, 19, or 21 in fixed mode. Just doesn't appear to be working right in normal mode. Is this perhaps a botched modification somewhere?

Where should I look?

Thanks guys

AHHHH after further inspection I noticed a hidden function, "PUSH DW" on the Mic/RF Gain knob. Push it in and it clicks to make it work like normal (It appears anyways).

I couldn't see it because the dummy put these ridiculous chrome knobs with blue plastic fake jewel things in them on all of the radios knobs. They are WAY too big and when you rotate one knob it rotates the other..

Question, why do people do shit like that to their radios? The chrome covers are okay, and the chrome mic cord and mic. This radio has been chromed out! But if it reduces function why do it? I guess they are not TRUE radio operators, more like someone who uses a chromed out CB to make his redneck truck look more redneck, so he can impress all the other rednecks....

LOL

What the heck does PUSH DW stand for anyway. Sorry I don't have the manual for the DX73V in front of me and my DX99V does not have this button....

That's it! Dual Watch. I knew I heard it somewhere before. It does have a lot of unique features. However it is lacking SSB and a final. I thought it would surely be a dual final radio, nope... and no SSB. damn. But it does sound REALLY good on AM, I guess that's why it is so expensive/popular even though it's not SSB or dual final.

Thanks!

I just bought one of these in near mint condition. Very nice for a 30+ year old radio. I thought it was broke until I found what the problem was in this thread.

Attachments

• 20231213_152045.jpg
    20231213_152045.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 10

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.