• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 88HL Freq Counter Makes Noise

FC makes a hum when on. Anyone come across this or know a fix?

hmm yes i do have a solution for you sir. STOP BUYING GALAXY JUNK:D

how is the counter powered? Dc switched supply plugged into wall or 12v from astron supply?

try one or both

[SIZE=+2]Galaxy DX Radios Symptom and Cure Database[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Search[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Add A Record[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Administration[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Login | Logout[/SIZE] Record Details Make Galaxy DX Radios Model DX88HL Chassis EPT3600-14B Symptom hum on receive with freq counter on when shut off hum goes away. Cure put a 102 disc cap from ground to right side of R607 on bottom of freq board Additional Comments
Category RX Posted By Steelrod

[SIZE=+2]Galaxy DX Radios Symptom and Cure Database[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Search[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Add A Record[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Administration[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Login | Logout[/SIZE] Record Details Make Galaxy DX Radios Model DX88HL Chassis EPT3600-14B Symptom Loud buzz when frequency counter is turn on. Cure 1. Unsolder the + lead of capacitor C10 (1000uF)from the PCB, and pull the + pin of this capacitor lead up from the PCB.

2.Add a jumper wire from the + lead of C10 and connect the other end to the input to pin 1 of IC8.
Additional Comments DX88 models with serial numbers starting at M1A04373 will have this update installed during production. Category Tech Update Posted By Galaxy Tech Support

[SIZE=-2]
© CBTricks [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]
© CBTricks [/SIZE]

Thanks guys! I should have looked at cbtricks myself. I'll give it a try.

Anyone else reading this a "102" disc cap translates to .01uf, I would use at least a 25 volt rating but higher voltage ratings are common and just fine to use.

102 equates to a .001uF cap.

a 103 will be a .01uF cap.

here is an easy fix courtesy of DTB radio:

solder a .01uf capacitor from pin 8 of the TC5032 IC to the nearest ground point.

LC

Awesome LC. I'll look at that today. The other suggested fix is a bit more complicated working on the small FC board.

102 equates to a .001uF cap.

a 103 will be a .01uF cap.

here is an easy fix courtesy of DTB radio:

solder a .01uf capacitor from pin 8 of the TC5032 IC to the nearest ground point.

LC

Works like a charm, my galaxy had a high pitched whine, it was coming from the frequency module, did the little disc cap and all is good! Thanks guys!

freq counter noise

I also read and tried the foil around the harness for the counter. I used a aluminum foil tape and it cut out the oscillation noise very well. I still have a little hum, but I will try the other DTB cure and a new power supply cap as well.

old thread, but thanks for digging it up to post that, smokie4.
I've got a northstar DX99v that has the same issue on Ch 13, and there's not much out there for northstars, and I never looked up the problem, just the radio.
did you ground the tape shield?

I don't think the 99V used the old counter module with the TC5032 chip. That module is 3/4 the width of the radio, mounted just to the rear of the radio's front panel, secured by just one plastic screw to the side rail.

Every 99V I remember has a much-smaller counter module that does not use this chip.

But are you asking about a carrier on channel 13?

And not on any other channel?

This is caused by the second harmonic of the 13.560 MHz crystal in the radio's PLL section. Twice that frequency is 27.120 MHz, in between channel 13 and 14.

Changing it to a 14.01 MHz crystal will move each band upwards by 45 channels. And you will lose the lowest band.

The crystal's harmonic will now be heard at 28.02 MHz where you won't be bothered by it.

This problem shows up in most of the 8-band Galaxy radios. They use this same crystal in the PLL.

Barkett has this crystal listed about halfway down this page on his web site:
http://stores.goldeneagleradios.com/other/

I have fixed several 88's with the long box by recapping the counter board and moving the PCB ground wire from the box to the rear of the main PCB.

I tried a chassis ground on mine, but the trick that fixed it for me was the TSB from Galaxy where you move the leg of the one cap over to the point on the other side of the board. I found it on CB tricks.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.