• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 959 no transmit

If the predriver checks out OK; then check the VR for continuity.
They can go bad after too much diddling, or rust, or dirt.

I'd replace 54 & 55 first .

Look for burned traces, poor solder joints (in particular) and mods done wrong - too . . .

If the predriver checks out OK; then check the VR for continuity.
They can go bad after too much diddling, or rust, or dirt.

I'd replace 54 & 55 first .

Look for burnt traces and mods done wrong - too . . .
Ok. Which Vr am I checking?

Yes, it should have a bias board in there. Sound like the bias board was removed because someone put in a NPC/RC mod. Bad news! If it was my radio; I'd reverse that situation in a heartbeat. You might have to send it to a shop to have it changed back.

See if there is a wire on the trace side of the board leading from the bias board area over to Q55/Q54 area. If so; then it has the NPC mod in it.

The SAD thing about this mod in this radio, is that it isn't necessary. These radios have gobs of modulation if left unmolested and properly peaked.

Last edited:
The bias board is put in there for convenience IIRC. So that TP7, 8, & 9 are joined together with that board so that it can easily be removed for bias adjustments . SO, provided there are no mods to the chassis as you claim, then there is no reason they cannot be linked with anything you have laying around that will fit into those clamps if it didn't come with one.
eg. small piece of steel, aluminum, or copper wire.

If it doesn't have that board in there (or any conductor for that matter); then there will be no output until there is.
Hope that is your only problem, and hope that was it.

Last edited:
Ok I put a piece of copper wire in the tp7-9 spot. Still absolutely no output on wattmeter. I figured I would set voltage for driver and final. So I got driver set at 3.7v but when I tried setting the final I wasn't getting any voltage. Also now when I key up in ssb the lights all get very dim. On am lights don't dim.

959.PNG

Well, if you aren't seeing voltage at the gate of the final; then you will need to back track it from there until you find voltage. Between those two points has to be a part that has gone open/short. That is where I would start. Could be a bad 5.6v zener @ D90:

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx959_mosfet/graphics/dx959_mosfet_sch.pdf

EDIT:

If everything is dimming in SSB mode when you key the mic; then there is a short.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve_Buckeye
Thanks Robb I will check for the short tomorrow when I get some more time. I will look at that d90 first.

Ok I got .39 at d90. I'm guessing I should be seeing around .55? I checked a couple around the radio and was getting .55 so guess d90 must be bad. Also I checked the diode near the driver I think it's d92 but couldn't tell for sure its right next to it though. I got .69 on that one.

• Wow
Reactions: Lazaro Mont-Ros

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.