• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy 959

k4rga

Aug 12, 2012
georgia
I'm looking for a new radio, what do we think about the galaxy 959. I want ssb & well 40 upper and 40 lower would be nice. Any help??

i think for the same price you could do alot better with a converted 10 meter radio from a desent shop, just my 2 cents.

look into a nice used radio, one that you can try out locally before you buy it, ones to look at:

- President hr2510, hr2600, hr2830, Lincoln
- Galaxy 88HL, 99v
- RCI 2950
- Magnum 257hp (hard to beat for the money, REALLY hard to beat)

most of these can be had for a $150-250 used, in awesome shape, some of them as cheap as $75 used, I think the 257/HP can be had for around $200-$250 NEW

I'm looking for a new radio, what do we think about the galaxy 959. I want ssb & well 40 upper and 40 lower would be nice. Any help??

Dx959 is a good radio, can be modifued easily for the channels you want. Make sure you go to a good shop and have the job done right in the first place. It may cost more at some shops but is well worth it.

If you want extra channels and SSB, A CPU controlled PLL like in the Magnum radios and RCI's will give you the best stability on SSB.

2510 or 257 is my vote.

Your money ahead just buying a radio with all the options you want instead of paying someone to modify something.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks for all your help. Talked to (or txt to) dtb may work on getting a galaxy dx94hp

Good choice.
I had one matched with a Skythumper mic. I heard it was too loud most days on AM. Stable on SSB once warm(after a minute or 2). Talked a lot of skip all over the place on AM and SSB.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.