• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 959

Butcher318

Apr 13, 2005
These radio's have always been decent but nothing outstanding. It seems like they are really taking off in popularity these days. They sell for strong money on e-bay, and several people have been decking them out with lights, channels, echo, and such and they bring rediculous money. I'm talking 300 dollars plus.

Rather have one of those then a newer made Cobra 148GTL , they are decent radios period . The 949/959 , easily modded , very good looking and will take a nice echo board , I've used one and I have no complaints what so ever. They also sound excellent with there own stock mic's.A little pricey , but I think there worth it in the long run . There made well . Not everybody has to be a perfectionist. Now , I've seen those jeweled up 959s with a little bit of this and that on the side and I personally would not give that kind of money for that kind of foo foo on any kind of radio. To each his or her own.

I have run a 959, a 2547, and now a 949 and I think they one of the best radios currently manufactured today.
Good modulation, stable frequency at operating temperature, and like was said before, easy to mod and tune up.

I don't think the radio is worth the kind of money the "pimp my radio" version brings on ebay, but for the price places like Copper or Quackshack sell it for new, it's a good radio.

I actually stumbled onto one of those rare ebay deals when I got my current DX-949. the seller said the radio worked, but the channel display was burnt out. When I got it (for $40), the channel display was merely turned off with the dimmer switch. The thing was like new, and still works 11 meter great :LOL:

CDX8412 said:
I actually stumbled onto one of those rare ebay deals when I got my current DX-949. the seller said the radio worked, but the channel display was burnt out. When I got it (for $40), the channel display was merely turned off with the dimmer switch. The thing was like new, and still works 11 meter great :LOL:
HAHAAH

Bigred, he has had several hit the 400 dollar mark, I'm amazed. Seems like the guy does good work and all but wow.

Butcher318 said:
Bigred, he has had several hit the 400 dollar mark, I'm amazed. Seems like the guy does good work and all but wow.

WTF 400 bucks NO wai dood No way. 400 bucks for a 959 is the person OUT OF THEIR FLIPPIN MINDS?!?!?! Id buy an export for that price lol like a really nice export. like a 98vhp that does all that stuff already and puts out more more.

holy heck read closely on that 949 HE DID LIKE EVERY MOD POSSIBLE to that. And installed a freq counter jack. back lit the switches AND the lights are on the panel light controller. O My god im about to bid on it myself.

Yea, he does alot of work to them so he deserves some green for his effort. What most people don't realize is they are better off just getting an export already done up. For what people are paying for these radio's they could get a new Galaxy 94.

All the eye candy aside, the 929/949/959-series Galaxy's are all great modulators when tuned properly with just a touch of modification in the AMC and mic preamp circuit. If you step up the mic preamp gain, and speed up the AMC timing, they really boom. A touch of echo, and no-one will know the difference between you and the 400-dollar rigs.

Butcher318 said:
Yea, he does alot of work to them so he deserves some green for his effort. What most people don't realize is they are better off just getting an export already done up. For what people are paying for these radio's they could get a new Galaxy 94.
Thats what Id buy. Or even a galaxy 93 94 or 95 all in similar price ranges.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.