• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy 98vhp vs connex 4600 vs general hp 40?

They aren't ham radios, they're "export" radios. All of them are junk and should not be allowed on either CB or ham bands. All of them have quality control problems like bad solder joints, PA failures, etc. They all also suffer from a poor frequency mixing design that will emit an RF "spur" on the 10M band if you're running it on CB band. Get a good CB radio or get a legitimate HF rig. :) (y)

~Cheers~

For a CB, anything with the D858 PLL or the MB8719 PLL up until about 1995. I like Cobra 138/148radios, along with the Cobra 142/2000 radios. A lot of the older President radios are great as well, as well as the Teaberry, and Realistic Navaho series. But look for anything with the D858 PLL or the MB8719 PLL and you're good.

~Cheers~

Reactions: Chevboy0167
Those are nice radios there (referring to Exit Thirteen's post),but finding one of those radios in good condition is where the problem is. I see them on flea bay all the time but it almost always with "unable to test" in the description. I got lucky when I bought my old uniden grant. I was able to at least see and hear it function before I bought it, then spent another 75 bucks getting it in good working order. I love the recieve on that radio.
I have an old connex 3300hp and I like that radio. It lasted me for years in a rough mobile environment. It still works to this day, however it need some TLC, but nowadays if the radio doent have sideband I'm not too interested in buying or fixing it.

Reactions: undertaker
They aren't ham radios, they're "export" radios. All of them are junk and should not be allowed on either CB or ham bands. All of them have quality control problems like bad solder joints, PA failures, etc. They all also suffer from a poor frequency mixing design that will emit an RF "spur" on the 10M band if you're running it on CB band. Get a good CB radio or get a legitimate HF rig. :) (y)

~Cheers~
Sounds like you don't Know much
My connex 4600 has been a damn good radio ZERO problems! Because I had my radio gone through by a real tech not Joe blows hack shop. But I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion :

Sounds like you don't Know much
My connex 4600 has been a damn good radio ZERO problems! Because I had my radio gone through by a real tech not Joe blows hack shop. But I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion :
Really?
Then, you are wrong about Exitthirteen. He is quite a tech and not a shade tree tech at all. As far as your radio choices go, there is a body of evidence that supports what he says. Don't take it personal. If you like your radio choice; that's fine.

Really?
Then, you are wrong about Exitthirteen. He is quite a tech and not a shade tree tech at all. As far as your radio choices go, there is a body of evidence that supports what he says. Don't take it personal. If you like your radio choice; that's fine.
Really?

I understand, I'm not be littling anyone or anyone here, i know all radios are different, you know, they're all mass produced and as you know it doesn't matter, RCI, Stryker, Magnum, cobra, uniden everyone's quality control sucks nowadays. Quantity out weights the importance of quality. My Stryker 497 I bought new had loose mosfets n tons of loose solder joints galore, n my connex did as well not nearly as bad though. But my point is is that every radio is junk if it's not properly gone through n checked by a qualified tech. The quality on most radios anymore is ridiculious.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated