• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 99v no transmit

Same as your crocodile tears comment that you started with. Like I said, your apology is accepted. No need to explain yourself further. I'm am done with this, what seems to be a pissing match over small talk. Have a good day sir and I hope you feel better soon. God bless you and thank you for your input.

IT's something we need to be aware of, there was some "chatter" back when CBTricks was up, about a blown trace, and not in just one instance, many more started cropping up - we figured it was bad copper foil - cheap marketing stuff.

But this is a legit issue, the 4558 chip is doing a bit more work now, than from the days of the 3600 series - so with all the Roger beep and talkback as well as the MOSFET upgrades and the subsequent loss of the TA7222P audio amp chip and subbed in option for the TA2003/2005 5-pin one - they re-routed a lot of traces and there is now a loop trace for the 8 volts buss that fed all the noise toys and frequency counter.

But with all that acreage on the main PCB - THEY HAVE NOT FIGURED OUT ALL THE ROUTING NEEDS AND REQUIREMENTS - sigh...

The "drop off" means the 100 ohm resistor line is attempting to send power to both the 4558 chip and the ECHO R/Beep board with it's own buffer/unity gain section. Turned out - its' starved for power - hence the need for D65 - it can't power all the rest like it used to. How to tell? Turn on the "Jolly Roger" and key up - you get audio. It's pulling from the feed off the front panel specifically the header route from band selector.

Before - they "Stacked" a daisy chain on each header, but since the intro of the 696 boards from RCI - the issue is compounded by the fact that Galaxy has not been really "let go of" even now - 6 years after the supposed switch buyout program - attrition package (insert favorite layoff phrase here) issues with RCI absorbing the Galaxy line back under their umbrella. The proof is in the traces...

I'm not the biggest fan of Galaxy, but after the stunt Uniden pulled with their complete abandonment of the discrete. Cobra has taken a fence on many of their designs - I have my loyalties with the only thing still left for fend for, that's the use of discrete parts.

Why? It's so that at least kids interested in radio can have some cognitive ability to fight for the right to work in a factory - or at least build something and know what they're up against when they try.

A lot of "hammies" want SMD. Fine, But. Oh! how they tend for forget their roots so soon!

:+> Andy <+:

Well put. When I first started, I loved galaxy radios, because of the "loud" sound you could get from them. After growing into the hobby I learned that cobra had a good design, that was "rugged" but durable. After time, I realised that the quality and design of galaxy was poor. 3600 series was a big stepping stone for them. But the design flaws were too great. So to say. I wish they would redesign their boards to a more filtered and rugged way. And yes, smd ô¿ô why even bother? It's just a fancier way of polishing a lot of turd radios. I do like to keep things simple, but also enjoyable.

I remember when Galaxy was known as "A Drifter" - not because of the "Export" status, but because their "Coarse/Fine" clarifier and voltage stability were never used in the same sentence. (Opps) Metaphorically, it's why they had such a "Export" meme - FCC wouldn't allow it.

I know of several shops that got shut down because of the business of "grey marketing" got too greedy for them and "Exports" were the biggest bootlegging profit margin they can get - along with a Sweet-16 - The smell of hot electrical and bacon frying - Apocalypse now could never hold a candle to it...

But they did manage to break down and use a 473 as a means to obtain 3 amps for regulation - why do a 7808 when you can breakout and customize it? So Poof - 3600 - with 11, 12, 13, 14 - and all their suffixes, were born...

Man I'm showing my age...

Back in the bushes I go...

:+> Andy <+:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated