• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 99v (old) vr 21 not working.

Enterprise312ok

Jun 12, 2022
I have a nice galaxy 99v tiawan that had several bad electrolytics. After the recap I have discovered vr 21 does not finction as it should. Also the built in frequency counter is off a little when using the sidebands

It's a popular mod to bypass VR21 and control the receiver and transmitter frequency together from the front-panel clarifier.

Getting transmit and receiver frequencies lined up together just makes life easier when there is more than one other station in the conversation.

The factory setup controls the transmit frequency from VR21. If the radio were more stable, this would be okay. The receiver frequency is controlled by the front-panel clarifier. But the VR will never stay adjusted close enough to use.

And if it's JUST a two-station conversation, this works okay. The VR setting will never be perfect, but each station tunes in the other. All is well until a third station comes on the channel and wants to know why two stations are each transmitting on a slightly-different frequency. To make it a three-way is just easier if everyone is transmitting on the same "slot". Can only do this by modifying the radio to lock the receiver and transmit frequencies together.

But once this is done, VR12 just doesn't do anything any more.

Thanks Nomad, I just checked and the fine clarifier does control transmit. I recently did the same mod to my 2517 so I should have checked but I have only had my service monitor a couple of months so I still look up the manual and try to do my alignments by the book.
Moving the power to the clarifier explains the missing voltage and frequency at one of the test points.

Reactions: Holydvr

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.