• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 99v2 drift or no drift on SSB?

codeman

Recovering Crackerhead
Jul 10, 2011
Looking at getting a radio with sideband that will fit in the cubby hole of a 2015 Freightliner Coronado. I think the 99v2 will fit. I like it's power output, just wondering if these are better then the 959s as far as drift goes. From what I have read on a couple of reviews they are pretty decent on sideband. Just would like someone to chime in with their experience operating or hearing one on sideband. Thanks.

My take is that if you are talking to others with similar radios, Galaxy, RCI, Ranger, Magnum, Stryker and the like on SSB, you will be able to communicate just fine.

Now, the minute someone with a newer Ham radio such as Kenwood, Icom, Yeasu and the like hears your tansmission, you will be called out as running a radio that warbles and drifts on SSB. Just the way the world turns

Reactions: Slowmover
The Galaxy 99v2 appears to be the same full size chassis as most other Export radios. The only SSB Exports that don't drift much are the processor controlled radio's. RCI 2950/70, President 2510, Lincoln, Magnum 257, Delta Force, Omega Force, and there are some newer ones as well.

It'll drift the same as the old Galaxys do, so if you're serious about doing SSB in the mobile, don't get one. You'll be chasing it all over the place for about the first half hour, especially in colder climates. And the newer boards do not hold up well getting bumped up and down the road in a big rig, cold solder joints galore.

~Cheers~

Thanks for the replies, I have found that I can mount my Magnum S45 in the cubby hole after removing a piece that freightliner put there. It doesn't look as nice now but oh well. I currently have the the coax going through the door and frame. I know not good. However at least I can use my own antenna,mount and coax and no need to use the factory gear. I will find a better way to run the coax or have someone that knows what they are doing run it for me. I haven't had much time to mess with the install,as I have been busy or out of the truck. I'll get it right sooner or later.

I may look into bonding this truck a little after I see how the antenna performs this week on the road. Thanks

Last edited:
20170201_093543.jpg

OK here is a picture of my ugly install. One day I will try and pretty it up. Actually had a few dx contacts on 38 lsb and channel 28 to Maine and Massachusetts yesterday will i was in southwest Oklahoma.

View attachment 20152

OK here is a picture of my ugly install. One day I will try and pretty it up. Actually had a few dx contacts on 38 lsb and channel 28 to Maine and Massachusetts yesterday will i was in southwest Oklahoma.
Why the Towel above the radio, is that to snug it up?

You should make sure plenty of airflow is able to circulate inside that console.

Are there any console screws you can backout to hook some mini bungee cords around?

Yeah it's still a temporary install, the towel is there to snug up the radio and fill up the empty space. I do have dual fans mounted on the heat sink. I had bells cb put that on when I bought the radio years ago. I do plan on working on a better install when I have time. For now it gets me on the air.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated