• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 99v2

Danny Radioc

Jan 25, 2016
I have a galaxy 99V2. Everyone on a.m. tells me that it sounds fantastic. However on sideband they say I am garbled.
The clarifier coarse and fine has been opened. When I tune to them so that they sound normal they say I am garbled.
What's going on here

Unlocked clarifier not good . I like mine locked
But if your clarifiers locked you can't turn to those people that are all frequency. That's why mine is unlocked. You said about drift in the galaxy. Do you have a galaxy? If not then how do you know that's true

The coarse clarifier on the 99 comes unlocked from the factory; then fine clarier does not come unlocked. So, unlocking the clarifier on these radios (77, 88, & 99) means that the fine clarifier is being unlocked. It makes it much much easier/faster to fine tune!

Reactions: rumblefish
Because I use to have galaxys I don't not do am. ssb only. Never could get them on frequency..They would drift!!! and if the clarifiers is locked yes you can turn to those that are on freq.. This is not my first rodeo!!

Galaxy radios are notorious for drift. And yes I have owned some and worked on many. They can be a real pain in the arse to tune. Set them up on frequency after half an hour warm up and hope for the best.Had some that would drift 300 hertz when you took the lid off, after the half hour warm up.
Sounds like this one is off frequency and needs a tune to sync the tx and rx . And thats the big problem with unlocked clarifiers ( no rit ) you end up chasing each other as you adjust for drift.

what i would be asking is ..has the limiters been clipped? has the alc been jerked?
drift does not make garbled audio
other thing is mis tuned tx mixers or unstable vco/pll but most likely clipped limiters

all cb radios drift...unless they stopped making cb radios with crystals in them :sneaky:
how many million watts was squeezed out of that 99v2?

I've owned quite a few Galaxy radios. I don't recall any of them drifting bad enough to bother me. It's really not that difficult to reach over and make an minor adjustment
I have running a stock 99V2 for over 2 years in a big truck with good results on SSB. Recently took it to The Radio Shop in Ontario, Ca for a complete alingment, fine clairafier unlocked, and a RFX 150. Cause I can. LOL Sometimes when it cool it needs to warm up on SSB. This radio is pretty stable. Get good complaments all the time. Thank's again for the radio Mudfoot!

All the more reason why SSB users should stay away from Galaxy's.

I heard plenty of RCI's 2900 series radio's over the years and they seem to be frequency stable for the most part if someone hasn't hacked it. With radio's that use VFO tuning, there is no need to hack the clarifiers. Better to have your radio's transmit and receive frequency properly set and let others tune to you since a lot of 11 meter SSB stations are off one direction or the other.

There are many newer multiprocessor type radio's out there today like the President Grant II that other people can chime in and give feedback to their SSB stability.

If you really like using SSB, I would consider a better radio.

Just a thought...

Reactions: rumblefish

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.