• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX-2527 echo

basstracker1970

Nov 6, 2012
I have a galaxy dx-2527 base and the problem I am having is the echo. This radio has 2 knobs on the front face one for echo and one for time. The problem I am having is when I just crack open the echo everyone tells me I have to much echo and I can't turn it down anymore on the front. Is there anyway to turn it down inside the radio so I can have more adjustment on the front face? Thank for any help....

You won't believe it unless you try it but the best thing you could do with all built in echo boards by Connex, Galaxy and Ranger is to bypass the board entirely. It is cutting the transmitter bandwidth by almost 1/3 and it doesn't matter if the echo is on or off.

You can put any quality aftermarket mic on this radio and it will never have improved fidelity, just louder volume if it's an amplified mic. The echo is the worst option they ever installed because you can't get rid of its negative effects even when it's off.

They could have put a relay on the board to bypass the audio line through the board but that would reveal what a poor quality board it was as soon as you turned it off. To bypass it is easy and can be reversed if you think you're not going to like this..... You will.

Look at J2 and J3 of the echo board in the link above. The first pin on J2 is the mic input to the board. The last pin on J3 is the mic output. Both wires should be removed from the board connector and tied directly together.

The pins inside the plastic connector are easily removed if you push the small locking pin on the side of the connector inwards. The wire and pin will pull out the top of the connector. Just cut a small piece of solid wire that fits inside the pins to join the two wires together and insulate with heatshrink.

Reactions: 1 person
I have a galaxy dx-2527 base and the problem I am having is the echo. This radio has 2 knobs on the front face one for echo and one for time. The problem I am having is when I just crack open the echo everyone tells me I have to much echo and I can't turn it down anymore on the front. Is there anyway to turn it down inside the radio so I can have more adjustment on the front face? Thank for any help....

I have run into the exact same issue with mine. I have wondered for some time if I could turn down my echo internally cause its just to much even all the way down. I hardly ever turn it on for this reason. Since I run ssb a lot no big deal but it would be nice to have just a touch of echo on am. I think I might try the bypass that was mentioned just to see what happens. I run a d104 and have always got great audio reports on ssb but if I can improve it even more than its definitely worth a try. I might experiment with putting a bypass switch on it if it is a noticeable improvement.

You have to keep in mind that SSB has a much narrower bandwidth to start with in comparison to AM. What the means is modifications that improve bass or treble response are much more noticeable on AM.

If you must have this on a switch, use a double pole double throw relay close to the radio board so the wires to the switch don't pick up RF or hum. Another option is to use small shielded wire directly to the switch and ground all the braids.

i have been known to tell people that they have too much echo, and then when they finally just turn it off, i say, "perfect!" LOL

not a big fan personally.
around these parts you get labeled as a truck driver whether you are or not when you use echo.

LC

Thanks for the info shockwave.

I'm happy to have a place to share these things with others. When someone buys a radio with extra bells or whistles, we don't expect one of them to detract from the radios main function of sounding as good as possible.

Now that I see a schematic of this echo board, it's easy to spot its deficiencies. The first active part the audio goes through is an op amp that has a negative feedback loop designed to knock out treble. Then they have two more dedicated low pass filters deeper in the audio chain marked LPF1 and LPF2.

That pretty much rules out anything over 2500 cycles before rolloff is noticed in the high end. Then there are more than a dozen coupling caps to eat up the low end bass along the line. The circuit chops off the low end and the high end....but why?

It all comes down to the time base delay required for an echo and the quality of the parts used. The faster the time base or frequency is, the more bandwidth the circuit can pass and still provide a clean delay.

The issue is the faster the time base is, the more important it becomes to use higher quality parts or things like slew rates in op amps will be the weak link in the chain. Quality was sacrificed in favor of limiting the bandwidth.

The key thing to note in this circuit is the "ECHO ON" line through J7. It just turns 5 volts on or off to the mode control. When the echo is off, the mode control simply disables the time delay to stop any echo. All of the low pass filters and high pass coupling caps remain in the audio line!

Last edited:
Thanks Shockwave your da man. Will do this mod tomorrow and report back on what others say about my audio after mod. They say im very loud now.

If you can listen to the radio through another before and after the mod, you'll notice it yourself. It will not make you louder, it will make you sound "fuller" with more bass and treble. How much improvement you see will now be dependant on the microphone used.

Yes, that is the board that is in this radio, I have to have the mode switch in echo, and the echo on to get any modulation, ssb works ok.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.