• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX-73V

Gwerner

Jan 2, 2024
I have a small Pyramid DC power Supply, that doesnt seem to want to power the galaxy. when I turn the radio on it crashes the power supply. What power supply do you guys recommend?

Megawatt makes fantastic power supplies and I use one rated at 36 amps at 13.8 volts. It was reasonably priced, arrived quickly and has more than enough power to run my two radios and a mid-size amp.
If you ever need more power they are stackable, so you can buy another the same and double your amperage.

Here's the cheapest one at Gigaparts. Probably not the cheapest out there, but a start. That radio should be okay with a 5-Amp rated power supply. A bigger one is okay, just make sure the fuse in the radio's power cord isn't any bigger than 4 Amps.

https://www.gigaparts.com/astron-rs-5a.html

With any luck, the problem is the power supply, and not an overload fault in the radio.

Reactions: BC Coyote
I have a small Pyramid DC power Supply, that doesnt seem to want to power the galaxy. when I turn the radio on it crashes the power supply. What power supply do you guys recommend?
Supply crashes just when you turn the radio on? Well that is serious. Does the radio work when running elsewhere like in a vehicle?
A radio simply turned on and receiving draws very little power. A CB maybe only 1/2 to 1 amp. If in fact the radio is fine and supply is crashing on that ..... well the Pyramids ARE cheap and is suffering a failure.
There could be a failure/short in the radio causing it draw high amps when simply turned on ..... you'll out which it is with more investigation.

There could be a failure/short in the radio causing it draw high amps when simply turned on ..... you'll out which it is with more investigation.

Or you use a Power supply that maybe offers (oomph) amps - but due to it's short protection section - those larger caps in the radio can make the system appear as a short - so the protection circuit shuts it down.

Can you swap out to a better/bigger power supply and looking at the 5-A fuse as the 5 cents this thing needs to protect itself - Murphy's law looms like a thundercloud make sure you keep a fuse in-line with the radio so you don't lose both the patient, the nurse, and the doctor - all at the same time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.