• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy dx 77 hml questions

Well I think most of us here know what’s “correct” and what’s not when it comes to radio mods and tuning. And I’ve heard some clipped and “super mod” radios that sounded super crappy but I’ve also heard some that sounded pretty dog-on good too. That goes for box car looking waveform radios too, terrible looking on a scope but it still sounded good on the air. No point arguing about distance and on frequency power.

I know it’s wrong. You know it’s wrong but do we have to jump on somebody and start preaching from the holy book of radio every time somebody shows up and asks a question or something? No, of course not. We know there are hack shops out there and I won’t sit here and lie, I have done some less than appropriate things inside a radio before, I’m not SuperTech. I’m not a tech at all, don’t claim to be one either. I tell the guy what his options are, what they’ll do and it’s up to him. If he wants it clipped and hacked, that’s what I do, against my better judgement.

If he was gonna use it for sideband, I’d most definitely try to talk him out of it and talk him into a textbook factory service manual alignment. I use to try to talk people into fixing their radios back unmolested but I found a lot of people started disliking me so I stopped.

It’s a hobby and if you can’t enjoy it, you won’t stay in it long. Like the guy here (name slips me) that went to the hamfest or something about getting a license and the guys were so rude and buttholes, there’s an example. And there’s your experience and example. And mine, one of many.

Reactions: Rwb
Ok the 50 was max swing watts not pep called the tech he said its 40-45 pep on the radio and the echo board is still in the radio I just had him disconnect it because it had a loose terminal causing transmit issues, rather than repair or replace it. Mainly because I never use echo I'm a clean and clear type of guy. The radio sounds great and no distortion.
He said he replaced a part that was missing and removed a hacked up clarified mod from the 77. Also said hes looking for one that is not working so he can can fix mine as he found some board root on it.

Ok the 50 was max swing watts not pep called the tech he said its 40-45 pep on the radio and the echo board is still in the radio I just had him disconnect it because it had a loose terminal causing transmit issues, rather than repair or replace it. Mainly because I never use echo I'm a clean and clear type of guy. The radio sounds great and no distortion.
He said he replaced a part that was missing and removed a hacked up clarified mod from the 77. Also said hes looking for one that is not working so he can can fix mine as he found some board root on it.

Cool, I had the one I had and I’ve said what it would do. I have one right now that won’t get past about 30w PEP, has 1969’s in it but it too had 2312’s when I got it.

It’s a good radio. I’ve often scratched my head wondering why they’d built a sideband radio with no frequency counter in it and then when they did, it’s not got enough digits on it but oh well.

Well I think most of us here know what’s “correct” and what’s not when it comes to radio mods and tuning. And I’ve heard some clipped and “super mod” radios that sounded super crappy but I’ve also heard some that sounded pretty dog-on good too. That goes for box car looking waveform radios too, terrible looking on a scope but it still sounded good on the air. No point arguing about distance and on frequency power.

I know it’s wrong. You know it’s wrong but do we have to jump on somebody and start preaching from the holy book of radio every time somebody shows up and asks a question or something? No, of course not. We know there are hack shops out there and I won’t sit here and lie, I have done some less than appropriate things inside a radio before, I’m not SuperTech. I’m not a tech at all, don’t claim to be one either. I tell the guy what his options are, what they’ll do and it’s up to him. If he wants it clipped and hacked, that’s what I do, against my better judgement.

If he was gonna use it for sideband, I’d most definitely try to talk him out of it and talk him into a textbook factory service manual alignment. I use to try to talk people into fixing their radios back unmolested but I found a lot of people started disliking me so I stopped.

It’s a hobby and if you can’t enjoy it, you won’t stay in it long. Like the guy here (name slips me) that went to the hamfest or something about getting a license and the guys were so rude and buttholes, there’s an example. And there’s your experience and example. And mine, one of many.
twas me and yes i agree.he is happy with it.im happy for him too.now we should all say welcome to our place

Yeah, crap..I didn’t pay that any attention. Welcome bro! Hope you hang around and watch me derail threads by the handful daily, hahaha.
I've actually been here awhile just forgot my old account info so had to make a new one. Think my old account handle was dynamite kid or kid dynamite something like that

We
well i hope you enjoy your radio.i got 3 with echo ,1 has voice changer .never used them dont plan on it either.
Id much rather hear a clear crisp voice

Reactions: Cmessina
Dumb question time.

Ive forgotten which is better.
My radio swings 50 watts according to the tech that worked on it. I have 3 settings low medium and high on low and medium I have a dead key of about one or right at one. Tested this with a dummy load myself. And a dead key of threw on high.
If I want my radio to be load and clear to everyone far and near where do I need to set the radio on low medium or high
Also according to the tech that worked on the radio its supposed to swing 50 watts on every setting.

Dumb question time.

Ive forgotten which is better.
My radio swings 50 watts according to the tech that worked on it. I have 3 settings low medium and high on low and medium I have a dead key of about one or right at one. Tested this with a dummy load myself. And a dead key of threw on high.
If I want my radio to be load and clear to everyone far and near where do I need to set the radio on low medium or high
Also according to the tech that worked on the radio its supposed to swing 50 watts on every setting.
Low if using a foot warmer,find a local n try high and adjust mic to best sound

No foot warmers here strictly bare foot.
Been running on high with mic gain wide open most don't complain they say its loud and clear. However a few with unmolested radios keep saying I'm breaking up when I'm close by

No foot warmers here strictly bare foot.
Been running on high with mic gain wide open most don't complain they say its loud and clear. However a few with unmolested radios keep saying I'm breaking up when I'm close by
yes tad over modulated back off a quarter n see how it does.no matter what it is i prefer to never run anything full blast ,lifetime seems to last longer if not pushed to 100% peak load

Would it be better if I swapped the mosfet for a couple of irf520s
IRF-520's ARE mosfets. These radios did not come with mosfets from the factory. Mosfets are NOT a direct drop-in replacement. If there mosfets in there now; then someone converted it over at some point. They came with a pair of 2sc1969 bipolar transistors.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.