• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX-86v as a base radio??

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
Was entertaining this as a buy for a possible base setup for house with my A99 and my temperature controlled middle bedroom/shack where it runs about 66-68. The radio runs $240

Read up on a bit. Looks like 30w PEP when OEM setup and about 45w or so after a tune-up.

Was thinking conversion to 11m mod, which I think unlocks the clarifier too. (Anyone know??)

Has SSB and AM and nothing fancy as far as features.

Supposed to be similar to 55/66 radio.

Thoughts on this??

Would be running into a TS350 with RF power turned down to lower the DK and PEP abit. Or barefoot at normal power..

Was thinking external freq counter as well to help tune the SSB better if needed.

I figure the 10m boards may be more stable than the typical say 949 board..

It’s virtue is its size.

1). It’s an AM/SSB Galaxy, therefore a talker and with a readable meter while rolling the roads.

3). It’s got enough “oomph” to be heard by others in traffic.

4). It’ll run off the supplied 15A circuit AND fit the typical overhead cubbyhole in a company truck.

But for $250 you might widen your search. The President line should be the starting point.

If it’s economy with good performance, then a Uniden 980 with an RM Italy KL203 baby amp is a starting point (together about $200 +/- shipping)

It’s virtue is its size.

1). It’s an AM/SSB Galaxy, therefore a talker and with a readable meter while rolling the roads.

3). It’s got enough “oomph” to be heard by others in traffic.

4). It’ll run off the supplied 15A circuit AND fit the typical overhead cubbyhole in a company truck.

But for $250 you might widen your search. The President line should be the starting point.

If it’s economy with good performance, then a Uniden 980 with an RM Italy KL203 baby amp is a starting point (together about $200 +/- shipping)

I had the President McKinley (new model) at one point. Sold that and got a Cobra 148 GTL to use instead (Circa 95-96).

But after researching a peak and tune and the $40 cost and $40 RT shipping to get it done, now I am rethinking going new and this made the most logical sense. Also the little but of uppe and lower after conversion seems like a slight plus.

I had a Lincoln II v3 but didn't really like that as it seemed noisy on RX..

This would replace the Cobra 148 if I can sell it and maybe even sell the RM203 I have just sitting in the truck unused at this point as my Cobra 29 from 94-95 is working just fine without the kicker for local..

I like the look of the 86v.. and the small bonuses seem appealing..

Reactions: Slowmover
What's wrong with the 148?

Nothing at all. Factory setup. Just needs a tune-up is all. And I'm fundless to send out at moment..

I get frustrated easy if things don't work well straight up..

I want the 148 set for a 2w dk and swing to about 15w or so for the TS350 and have an alignment done for SSB as I was told I was off abit..

I got a good quote from fellow forum member here.. just the shipping is $20 to and $20 back is killing it.

I have no one local.

If it was me I'd keep the 148, but it took me a while to learn. Those fancy exports are the big booty hoes, they are fun to show off and fool around with, but of no real use in the long run. That cute little 148 next door? She will do everything you need on 11 meters, and do it with class.

With that said, you may as well just get the hoe and get it out of your system.

The best part is..... 338 is not wrong. My sentiments exactly. (y)

Definitely keep the 148, save the coin to get it sent out and done right, and when that happens, you'll be good to go.

~Cheers~

I guess I'm a sucker for (Ranger built) big booty hoes too but when you're needing that housewife I would suggest the anytone at-6666. It's a modern rig that'll do what the hoes do and then some. I was a skeptic of the anytones but after owning several for some time now I'm a believer. Like anything else, care about for them and they'll "put out" as dependable as anything else I've owned. Just my $0.02

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Oh great, Well - just when I thought I could help by giving some guidance... But now the Galaxy line has gone from Space Junk onto something of a 1st profession and Domestics...and it's attracting new customers - er - Clientele...

TheClient.jpg
Never would have imagined...​
Couldn't help but overhear you're planning on leaving the 148 behind - well she's may have got a lot of miles under her. But can still make for a good conversation with the locals, just can't prevent the young'uns from spoiling the roundtable due to their demanding (read BRATTY) ways. - she does need maintenance yes, but so does everything else in life. Even you, meaning that if you leave the Red-LED'd gal of Amber eyes and Analog metering for a newer model still under warranty - well I wish you all the best...you will have to learn how to make the new one work like you want it to.

I don't want to give anyone any bad thoughts but here's a couple of Pin up and a Centerfold pages on what all those knobs and levers do...

DX-86V.png

Had to go find the well thumbed issues left behind at the doctors office but you are aware it does use "blue" light for "Coolness" but can generate an operational issue if your eyes even have the slightest Achromatic Abberation - the thing will "blur" your vision if you stare at it too long...

So with that in mind...

Memorize the below so when you're living off the dashboard lights you can at least know the function of all the fancy accessories that come with that package...
DX-86VLayout.jpg
... You KNOW you're a CB'er when...
... The Radio and the Antenna - Costs more than the Vehicle is worth...

Probably can't do anything either way till spring. Got no $$ right now. Was just entertaining the 86v..

If I had sense I would sell the TS350, get the 148 straightened out and run as a base with the RM 203 I have laying here collecting dust..

Then I'd have a good RX radio and a lil kick if needed..

Reactions: codeman
Welcome to the Holidays...

Never really knew why they changed from Merry Christmas to Happy Holidays - guess several holidays got combined into one holiday, which merged into one big long pre-season sale on stuff we wouldn't buy any other way except to make others happy...

Take care of yourself - because no one else can take care of you - like you...

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated