• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy dx 88

bluecurt63

Jun 17, 2014
ive got a galaxy dx 88 and the frequency counter don't work. Ive changed r37 and the frequency counter pcb,checked the power , does anybody know anything else.

A Galaxy 88.. start looking for poor solder joints. Mine had dozens. No Tx, No RX, default freq, no meter, intermittently working.. I went over it with with a spool of solder and a fine tip iron and retouched the solder on everything I could get to.

I was shown a trick of using a plastic ink pen casing as a probe and start pushing on solder joints with the power on. You'll find issues that way. even a light flexing of pushing on the board in areas narrows down issues.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I agree with poor solder joints. Many Galaxy radios I've worked on were either only slightly in need of some solder joint repair - or sometimes half or more of the entire board. Same goes for the freq display board too. Bring patience; you'll need it. The freq counter itself may need recapping - seen that a couple of times. Think I still have a couple of 88's here that I had to do just that . . .

Ah, "counter won't work"?

As in, just won't light up?

At all?

Is this the old version of the counter that's 2/3 the width of the radio?

Or the post-1995 version that's less than half that size?

Big difference inside.

Big difference in where to look for the fault.

Reactions: NZ8N
As well as check to make sure all the headers that arrive from the front panel thru that harness then onto the main board - are routed to their CORRECT position and not twisted around or placed in wrong positions.

You can easily wind up going thru Frequency Counters, several times over, due to a bad header that got swapped...

Give Credit where Credit is due - see attached for some help in that wiring spaghetti mess

Attachments

• Galaxy88Interconnection.gif
    Galaxy88Interconnection.gif
    231.3 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.