• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GALAXY DX 88HL ?????

Switch Kit

Apr 6, 2005
I've never owned but a few of these Galaxy type radios over the years and have also heard and experianced the pros and cons about them as well. Does anyone know anything perticular about the Galaxy DX 88HL ? Like why was it discontinued ? and how long ago was it discontinued ? Was it a bad radio ? SSB warrble or major drift ? from what IM gathering it was not a cheap radio , from 300 to 400 depending on where you baught it. I would appreciate any info on this one if anybody knows ? Thanks

Reactions: Shane smith

I had a long talk with Ray at Galaxy on Wednesday. We covered a number of topics as part of hashing out details of me doing out-of-warranty repairs for them, including why that chassis and its siblings were discontinued. The general gist of it is that Galaxy has been concentrating on making the bigger chassis with the newer boards, IE Galaxy 95t, t2, 98, 48T, etc. There are plans to bring new model(s) the lower power market as well.

The reason they've been concentrating on the self-contained radio/amp combos is because many truckers are no longer allowed to run external amps. any can still get away with running a big radio, though, which is the reason for the drive by Galaxy for the big stuff.

I have owned alot of galaxy / mirage radios from galaxy ll, pluto , 88 ,99 mirage 88, 99, 2547, saturn and saturn turbo. All had pros anc cons and Im not complaining by any means nothings perfect not even my HF rigs. The only bitches I have about the 88 and 99 radios are The SSB on them was not the best and anyone who knows me knows that I am a SSB user. I did contact Galaxy about this and when my other computer gets up and running its saved on there ( the response I recieved from them) its very interesting. I would buy another one if I found one thats in decent shape just to ad to my collection in my opinion the galaxy 2 and Pluto were the best sounding on SSB and the most stable radio they had but ofcourse all good things must come to an end

That is by far the best Galaxy radio I have found. It has everything you need and nothing more. I have run one since 96.

I have one and it is great on AM. SSB floats but does ok when warmed up. I use it mainly on AM and have some other radios better suited for SSB like my Grant XL and my Lincoln. Believe it or not my 95T does a great job on SSB. I got me a General Lee to use in the truck and going to use my 88 less because they are stopping making them and I want to keep it in good shape. As much as I love my 88 I think my General Lee is just as good on AM and would buy it for alot less money and get a different radio for SSB.

I've been using an 88HL from Bob's CB in PA for 2 years now and have found it to be a great performer. I've heard about SSB drift with the Galaxy line, but haven't noticed it with mine. I get a lot of compliments on how it sounds, so I'm a satisfied customer. 8)

I think that SSB drift thing is really more concerning to the SSB'er at heart (unless the drift is really bad) , for many ,it doesn't always have to be perfect and folks tend to get by just fine when it comes to SSB on Galaxys'. Thank you all for the replies on this radio .

With a Galaxy 88 or 99 you can watch them drift like a sail boat when they are cold. When you talk to SSB regulars they will tell you too. Once they get up to temp they are ok.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.