• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 959 alignment question.

SMILEX2692002

Oct 26, 2011
I got a new DX 959. Not the newer blue version.
I was going through the service manual info on CB tricks.com to align the PLL and TX sections.
I noticed the LSB (L22) and USB (L21) adjustments are located underneath the frequency counter board.
How does one remove the freq counter board to reach the alignment locations?
The AM (L20) can be seen just in front of the freq counter board.
I was able to adjust L20 to proper frequency.

On the TX alignment procedure it says to

USB OSC:
Set radio to CH 20 USB TX mode. Connect frequency counter to TP6.
Adjust L24 for
10.69250 MHz ±20Hz.

LSB OSC:
Set radio to CH 20 LSB TX mode. Connect FC to TP6.
Adjust
L25 for
10.69750 MHz ±20Hz.

When I follow the steps and probe TP6 I get nothing showing on my Heathkit frequency counter?
I notice on my radio TP6 has no lead to clip onto like other Test points in my radio.
There is what I think is a diode just below TP6, when I probe it its showing nowhere near 10.69750 on LSB or 10.69250 on USB.
Is there something Im missing?

My radio badly needs the alignment finished for the SSB portion. As expected it is quite a bit off frequency on both Upper and Lower SSB from the factory.

I use our signal generator to set the receiver to zero-beat with the signal on channel center frequency.

This is one radio that can't use its own built-in counter for setting the clarifier channel-center trimmer coils.

I cringe every time I plug one of these counter modules back in. I haven't bent over any of the pins yet.

Yet.

Another method requires "locking" the clarifier's receive frequency to the transmit frequency. You feed a 1 kHz tone into the mike on USB, LSB and AM. Set the appropriate trimmer coil for the correct reading on the external counter.

A radio that's going to be use for sideband as a regular thing probably needs the clarifier mod anyway.

nomad's excellent answer not withstanding, if you remove the four flat head screws that hold the face plate on, and then remove the two screws that hold the metal bezel to the chassis, then you can pull that entire assembly forward a bit and hang it down off the front of your bench.

that being said, i find that method to be somewhat tedious as you end up fighting the damn thing in order to get it back together.

I just pull the face plate off before i start working. This also allows me to tighten any loose screws or nuts behind the faceplate, and then re-torque seal them so they won't vibrate loose in the future.
This also saves you from damaging a customer's nice face plate.
most of the radios i work on need a good cleaning anyway so removing the face plate just makes all that much easier.

just don't forget to put those damn black dust covers back over the switches!!!
there isn't much more frustrating than getting all finished only to find a little pile of black circles laying on the bench mocking you.
LC

Hmmm....went to align a 949 for a friend tonight and noticed TP6 pin isn’t there on this radio as well.

Last edited:
I got rid of the radio shortly after posting this thread. I liked the radio. Maybe I'll try a DX 949 next time. Those freq counters are worthless in the 959 anyway.

If you like using SSB don't buy a Galaxy 949/959, get a Uniden 980 or President McKinley.

The Galaxy radios are known to drift around. You can unlock the clarifier but you may still find yourself tuning often.

Reactions: Handy Andy
I don't mind the occasional having to move the clarifier. For the most part I would think with the open clarifier you wouldn't have any issue tuning to the person you're talking to and carrying on a conversation on side band with a Galaxy dx 959 or 949 or 979.
I have owned the 980 SSB and the President McKinley.
I honestly liked the 959 better.
I just enjoy seeing a real S meter on a radio and having knobs and switches to do stuff versus the new menu driven and digital display radios.
Although I don't own any of them right now.
I do like my president hr2510 and my Ranger 2950. They have a digital display but not so menu driven.
I have a unlocked clarifier in both of them.
I guess it's just my personal preference to have a unlocked clarifier for Sideband.

If you like the Galaxy the 979 seemed to be the best out of the bunch for me in terms of SSB stability, Also smaller than the 949 and 959 and I liked the starlight faceplate. A little more cramped for the controls though. if you have a HR2510 and a RCI 2950 you don't need a Galaxy :) Those are good radios.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.