• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 959 Revived!! ;)

High Miler

May 30, 2005
Pennsylvania
I have had a Galaxy DX 959 and swore after having this too 2 shops that I would NEVER NEVER NEVER buy another radio with Galaxy wrote on the case.

I finally wound up getting the radio back and took it to Bob's CB today...

After going through it with a fine tooth comb that radio does a nice job now! Still doesn't compare with my exports, but that coupled with a new Wilson Mag 1000, boy the difference. Try about 4 S-units... Now I can actually hear my wife when she goes in to town... That could be good or bad I guess!!! :shock:

Hats off ... Again.. To Bob's CB Shop in Barkeyville,Pa!!!

I know a few people who use this radio an dfor the money you pay u really get a nice radio. They are a loud little radio, put a d-104m6b on it wow nothing but good reports

Yesterday I was quite shocked, to see that I could talk to my wife about 20 miles from here with the little Galaxy... And that she could actually hear me for a change.

We live in some hilly Country here and it was amazing to hear the radio that far away... I am sure it also has something to do with that Wilson 1000 Mag Mount also... One helluva antenna for a Mag Mount... I have nothing but high praises for it!

I really like those 959s. The only drawback I can see is no echo. (I dont personally care for echo, but customers do) I have been mounting radio shack project boxes on the right side of the radio with either a 4 postion rotary switch or 2 toggle switches (for xtra bands) and the dual echo control knobs. It comes out really clean. I have heard those "truckers" do nothing but bitch about this radio though. For the money, WHAT A GREAT RADIO! What they dont realize is it has the same export board it in though. You can really do alot to this radio. The only problem that I have with it is to do a 10KHz jump mod on that radio throws all the frequencies out of order (unless someone can show me how to do it where its not all screwed up)

BTW, Justin, I havent made you aquaintance, but Ive been seing your quality work for some time. I have been into so many butchered up radios and none of them came from you.

For the money I'm not so sure... $200.00 dollars is a pretty good penny when for a few dollars more you can get a good export with more power, more channels and I have noticed that atleast in my Rangers the receive is crisper and more sensitive... There's things I can hear/talk with my Exports that my Galaxy 959 will never do...

If I ever had to do it again, and I knew more about the export scence at the onset, I would have gotten a Connex/Ranger before that Galaxy...

But I am happy someone could do something with it... It was definately a dissapointment from the get go. Still not happy that alot of the Freq display burned out within' the year... But it makes a nice little radio for the wifes buggy nonetheless...

The hamfests are full of hacked radios that guys are trying to sell for the sun, moon, & stars. :evil: I saw a Cobra 2000 that had a front panel so badly hacked it wasn't even funny. Actual pieces of panel were removed with switches mounted off center. Internal wiring showed poor soldering and component connections made "in the air", not anchored down. The fool wanted $200 for that POS. I never uttered a word of it but just the fact that I gazed upon it at his table cost me to listen to his sales-spin and assurance that it was a "fine working radio". Those hamfests are chocked full of windbags and liars.
In contrast, I chanced upon an old Sears Roadtalker 40 that had a loose cover on it. The guy wanted $5 and informed me that he believed the NB switch had been wired to switch in extra channels. Closer inspection showed that indeed and with avg. workmanship. Before I could think if I even wanted the radio, he dropped the price to $3. Then he dropped it to $2, then simply said "oh heck, just take the radio for free, I don't want to have to take it back home." :shock: :D So now I have me a parts radio for the nice working Roadtalker I already have on my shelf!

10/4 LOL! :p Nothing wrong with that! My wife is always bringing me $2.00 dollar radios from the Garage sale... Some work... Some don't... But someday someone is going to need a part... And I hope I will be able to help them with it!

That's what this hobbie used to be all about... Not trying to screww the next person for your next 6 pack of beer...

Alot of good people out there... Just gotta watch what you get I guess.

Good observation High Miler...the prob with our society today is most are out to take advantage of someone (quick buck)...this is why a good tech is hard to find.

Yeh I remember to old days when............now what was I gon say /// :p

BUYER BEWARE !! TRY EBAY ON FOR SIZE !! IT'S LIKE GOING TO VEGAS AND ROLLING THE DICE TO MANY DAMNED TIMES )-: THEN TRY GETTING YOUR MONEY BACK ? IT CAN BE LIKE ROLLING THOSE DICE ALL OVER AGAIN ...YEAP, WHEN IT COMES TO EBAY THAT "BUYER BEWARE" IS PAR FOR THE COURSE.

Yeah... anything that costs any kind of money I don't get from there... There's always that one time even the guy with the good ratings could be a bad seed.

And after this KLV linear, if I can't do buisness with someone I can walk in and talk with I'm not buying it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.