• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy dx-959 RF Power-Modulation-SWR switch not changing functions

Chris Lawrence

Jul 9, 2021
Galaxy dx-959 RF Power-Modulation-SWR switch not changing meter functions.

The meter function is stuck on Power even when switched to the SWR or MOD position. The switch itself is changing continuity between legs so the switch itself seems to be working. All wires from point A to point B (switch to board) have continuity.

Any info I can provide to be pointed in the right direction? Note: New radio.

Ranger 69000 board

Attachments

• D583922B-A7BB-49B7-8017-8285B9A70BAF.jpeg
    D583922B-A7BB-49B7-8017-8285B9A70BAF.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 259B4E25-36F9-4C2E-8298-D1CA5B8A4FC0.jpeg
    259B4E25-36F9-4C2E-8298-D1CA5B8A4FC0.jpeg
    878 KB · Views: 12
  • 411C1D46-435F-4EA6-8607-56903135FB56.jpeg
    411C1D46-435F-4EA6-8607-56903135FB56.jpeg
    899.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

I tried looking at the schematic, but it doesn't make sense to me. Probably another case where teh manufacturer added a ghost town to their map...

Anyhow, my issue is that, according to the schematic, when the switch is moved to the "power" position, the TX power goes directly to ground.
messed up schematic.png

However, if I had to guess, I would say the actual schematic looks like this and that your problem is a missing/bad joint at J114, as that is what reroutes the other signals to the meter.
(deleted schematic, it was wrong still as noted in next post.)

Last edited:
Thats still not right..... If it is as how I drew it, then the SWR meter cannot reach the meter. I gotta stare at that for a bit

I tried looking at the schematic, but it doesn't make sense to me. Probably another case where teh manufacturer added a ghost town to their map...

Anyhow, my issue is that, according to the schematic, when the switch is moved to the "power" position, the TX power goes directly to ground.
View attachment 62675

However, if I had to guess, I would say the actual schematic looks like this and that your problem is a missing/bad joint at J114, as that is what reroutes the other signals to the meter. Notice how the original schematic had the ground wire on the wrong side of the switch...
View attachment 62676
I will check it out asap. I’m not very proficient at reading schematics. It’s a slow process for me.

Thanks for that. I’ll report back.

Dang schematics.... The switch positions are mislabeled too.

You will have to swap the positions of MT and MM on the switch if you wire it like the schematic in post #6 for the switch to be labeled correctly.

View attachment 62675

However, if I had to guess, I would say the actual schematic looks like this and that your problem is a missing/bad joint at J114, as that is what reroutes the other signals to the meter.
View attachment 62676
Oh My Gosh! I cannot believe this. I opened another Galaxy and it does NOT have J104. I removed it from the radio with the issue (also a new radio) and the problem is resolved.

I’ll reassemble and rest everything else to confirm but. Are you kidding me, Galaxy?

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Dang schematics.... The switch positions are mislabeled too.

You will have to swap the positions of MT and MM on the switch if you wire it like the schematic in post #6 for the switch to be labeled correctly.
I replied to your other comment about j104 not being in another radio I opened. Removing it resolved that issue. I’ll test everything shortly. Do the schematics show J104?

I replied to your other comment about j104 not being in another radio I opened. Removing it resolved that issue. I’ll test everything shortly. Do the schematics show J104?
I saw a J114, not a j104. These new ones must be a bit different from the schematic on CBTricks

Mfg date of radio with problem 3/21, J104
Mfg date of radio just opened 10/22 No J104

Customer sent this brand new radio back after saying the meter wasn’t working correctly. He just purchased it 10 days ago. I’m wondering if it was, in fact, the actual radio I sent him. I don’t track serial numbers.

Attachments

• A15A54C0-026E-4164-90EE-C8AF13D6992D.jpeg
    A15A54C0-026E-4164-90EE-C8AF13D6992D.jpeg
    703.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 4D7CC934-CE64-49ED-8353-0887AAD4AD0D.jpeg
    4D7CC934-CE64-49ED-8353-0887AAD4AD0D.jpeg
    729 KB · Views: 10
Glad you spotted that, I'm sure a bunch of people have the same issue. I wonder how close the old 959 schematic is to these new ones. I wonder if the old schematic is even relevant anymore.

Reactions: Chris Lawrence
Glad you spotted that, I'm sure a bunch of people have the same issue. I wonder how close the old 959 schematic is to these new ones. I wonder if the old schematic is even relevant anymore.
My guess is that it was a mistake in manufacturing. It's kinda like ordering a QP W/cheese and Mcdonald's, no cheese, they get the paper stating that and attach it to the box, but still put cheese on it because they go through the motions so often that muscle memory takes over and they screw it up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.