• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX-959 RX problem

Aug 31, 2020
I have a 959 that transmits and modulates fine. PA works. Problem is no sound on rx until it's a S-9 signal. Meter works fine just can't hear any sound until the signal is S-9 or above. Squelch control works. RF gain works. I thought it was something in the squelch circuit, but everything looks fine. Weird problem.

I have a 959 that transmits and modulates fine. PA works. Problem is no sound on rx until it's a S-9 signal. Meter works fine just can't hear any sound until the signal is S-9 or above. Squelch control works. RF gain works. I thought it was something in the squelch circuit, but everything looks fine. Weird problem.
BUMP

I have a 979 in my truck that has a squelch issue. Sometimes to hear the weaker stations, I would need to switch it to AM just to get the squelch to open then go back to sideband, but that only works for a brief moment. I remember the issue being present, but not as bad, when I did the frequency alignment last year (and remembering the squelch pot inside did nothing to help), but it has gotten almost to the point it is unusable since then so I guess it is time.

If I manage to find my bench today, I will get the radio brought in. I'd like to follow along as we probably have the same issue. If I discover anything myself while poking around in mine, I will let you know. I'm guessing a cap went dry somewhere.

My galaxy is in the house, but right now, I have such strong signals coming in that the my radio is picking stuff up with the MFJ tuner switched to the unused dummy load port.

On top of that, it seems to be working half normal again. I will leave this radio on my bench and use it tonight and see how it behaves when things quiet down. Worst case scenario, I wait 2 days for my new sig gen to arrive (it does modulation). Then I can use attenuators, known signal levels and have no 111111 causing problems.

Rf gain max. Turn off anl/nb. With volume cranked, do you get any white noise?

Normally, I start w/ seeing if moving wires or flexing the board results in the sound coming back. If so, it’s normally pretty easy to track down the problem. If not, there are guys here better at troubleshooting here than myself. Hopefully, it’s a simple short.

Reactions: brandon7861
I thought I was going to have something much more interesting to report.

My problem was the connector pictured below. After calibrating my S-meter, I was having the problem I mentioned with about 3 s-units of air noise when the audio would cut out consistently. I moved that cable (by accident) and heard a change (more audio). Since I removed and reconnected that cable, the issue has not returned.

Hopefully your issue is that simple too.

I think that is the cable for the squelch knob.
IMG_20230117_222420166_HDR.jpg

I thought I was going to have something much more interesting to report.

My problem was the connector pictured below. After calibrating my S-meter, I was having the problem I mentioned with about 3 s-units of air noise when the audio would cut out consistently. I moved that cable (by accident) and heard a change (more audio). Since I removed and reconnected that cable, the issue has not returned.

Hopefully your issue is that simple too.

I think that is the cable for the squelch knob.
View attachment 62149
Maybe clean the pins on the connector while you're there, you don't how often those have that sticky adhesive in them from brand new. It's left over glue from the factory and you might also check the foil side of the connector just to be safe. You're already in there, may save you another visit and time.

I had an intermittent problem with my Madison one time. The transmit audio would cut out but it still had a carrier. Looking at both sides of the board, I had it up on its side. But then it would work. Lay it down flat and no audio. Turned out that the corner of the board was cracked and a few traces broken. I didn't find it until I started looking at solder joints with my magnifier.

Found an issue with IC1 pin 9. I'm supposed to have 2.32v on that pin and I'm only seeing 25mV. All other pin voltages are correct except pin 9. I'm going to order a new quad op amp an plug that in.
Dr_DX..D16, D17 functional.
Chris Lawrence....No, no white noise at all.
Like I said earlier...no sound at all until I have a S-9 signal. Meter works, but no sound until S-9.
I'm sure it's IC1 related even though I have never had an issue before with IC1.

Last edited:
Pin 6 of IC 3 will go low in the case of an out-of-lock PLL condition. That will pull down pin 9 of IC1. I would start with a frequency alignment before switching out any parts. I used the 979 schematic because I can see it (the cbtricks one for the 959 is a color I cannot see) but this portion of the schematic is the same.
dx959_mosfet_sch.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Pin 6 of IC 3 will go low in the case of an out-of-lock PLL condition. That will pull down pin 9 of IC1. I would start with a frequency alignment before switching out any parts. I used the 979 schematic because I can see it (the cbtricks one for the 959 is a color I cannot see) but this portion of the schematic is the same.
View attachment 62152
PLL is in lock. Radio transmits right on frequency.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.