• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 959 SSB

ND88

Feb 7, 2014
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
My Galaxy is kind of strange. When I am on ssb, I have noticed that somedays the needle seems loose and will swing almost the full range of the meter. With a long sustained "auuudio", I can watch it climb and peak at 16 watts.
But then I have noticed that most of the time it doesn't do that and the needle doesn't swing as far while i'm talking. It sits at 6 while talking at normal volume, maxes out at 12 as i get louder.

Is this more likely an issue with the internal meter just not being very accurate, or could there be an issue with the transmit on my radio?

I'm guessing: 2SB754 or 2SB827 regulator? OR, upgraded 2SB817 regulator?

If it's the former, change to a 2SB817, if it's the latter.... could be anything.

Sounds like the regulator getting too hot at 16W SSB PEP, and the hotter it gets, the less output power it develops because the less voltage it ultimately sends to the final output transistor.

Might be the battery getting weaker in your power mic, if you are using one.

Another thing, you do not get more power output from the radio if you turn the mic gain up after a certain point. Most power mics like the Astatic are best set at the 1/3 - 1/2 way mark; past that it just gains distortion and sounds really crappy. The Mic Gain on that radio shouldn't be set higher than the 2 o'clock position. Or distortion adds in from that too.

You are using an external watt meter aren't you? If not then that's the first step to determine if it's the output of the radio or just the cheesy meters Galaxy uses in their radios.

My Galaxy is kind of strange. When I am on ssb, I have noticed that somedays the needle seems loose and will swing almost the full range of the meter. With a long sustained "auuudio", I can watch it climb and peak at 16 watts.
But then I have noticed that most of the time it doesn't do that and the needle doesn't swing as far while i'm talking. It sits at 6 while talking at normal volume, maxes out at 12 as i get louder.

Is this more likely an issue with the internal meter just not being very accurate, or could there be an issue with the transmit on my radio?

What's the history of the radio? Is this a new problem or has it always done this? Did you buy it new, used, is it tuned, clipped, stock? Is everything in order with your antenna system? Power mic stock mic? I also might add you really cannot use the radio's meter for actual wattage readings, they are ballpark at best. You will need a decent external watt meter.

Might be the battery getting weaker in your power mic, if you are using one.

Another thing, you do not get more power output from the radio if you turn the mic gain up after a certain point. Most power mics like the Astatic are best set at the 1/3 - 1/2 way mark; past that it just gains distortion and sounds really crappy. The Mic Gain on that radio shouldn't be set higher than the 2 o'clock position. Or distortion adds in from that too.

Thanks for the tip, i will scale it back. i've been keeping my mic gain maxed and the road devil mic at about 7 or 8.

I don't know very much about this galaxy radio. I bought it on ebay from a seller that said they bought it a year ago, never was able to get a radio check and they didn't like the foul language they heard so they sold it. It has worked fine for me talking with locals, but the Cobra HGM84W mic they sent with it has some kind of short in the switch. It seems to be stock, but i've never opened it up and looked at the innards, but i don't know much about radios.

I've always noticed this, even before i switched to a power mic. I used to think it was because it was cold out and it just took a while to warm up, but it's warm now. so it's gotta be something else.

Last edited:
With a long sustained "auuudio", I can watch it climb and peak at 16 watts.

A long sustained Audio will drive the radio to full output on ssb.

It sits at 6 while talking at normal volume, maxes out at 12 as i get louder.

SSB output follows the fast moving changes of your voice,high on the peaks and drops off during the nulls or pauses during words.
If the radio is still box stock i bet it is fine.
ALC and tuning are most likely soft because it is a FFC style radio.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.