• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX-959G yeah G... not B (odd)

Eldorado828

8-2-8 in the Lonestar state
Feb 21, 2016
The Lonestar State
Another odd offering from the folks at galaxy.

Just as some of us are thinking that they're close to shutting her down.... then they released an odd one.. Why the strange mix of colors? Why the G designation?
Screenshot_20230423_223120_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Brother DXer

The orange digits were on sale?

I was going to say that there is a high pitched noise coming from the video. It's the radio......
That high pitch noise has been common to the Starlite display for years. Many folk unplug the ribbon cable and it's gone but so is the backlighting. Like he mentioned in the video, old school tech in a much more advanced world.

Could have been better looking in all orange displays imo

I think orange would be a great choice. It is easier on the eyes at night and not as depressing as red

The only thing Galaxy has going for it is that the boards still use through hole parts, and all of the old school mods apply. So there is still fun to be had. For instance, you can unlock the clarifier. (But you kind of have to in order to be able to operate in varying temperature.) And you can twiddle the cans to get the transmit and receive on the same frequency. ( But you almost have to because out of the box, it ain't happening.)

So basically, if you don't tinker with radios, this radio is not for you. Unless you want to pay a tech to fix a brand new radio......

Anytone is putting nails in Galaxy's coffin. Galaxy has to jump on the band wagon in my opinion, and have Anytone make them some radios.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.