• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 979 unlocking clairifier

Well seeing my old little Wellers soldering iron has been with me about 20 years and the tip looked like it was showing signs of wear I decided to start looking for a replacement. Naturally seeing I have shopped at Harbor Freight since the late 70s ( Calalog ) I looked at their web-site, and went to their store after finding this unit on-line. The only one they had was a open box for about $32.00 so I brought it home and it works fine and nothing wrong with it but missing the 2 extra tips ( which appear to be the same as the one in it ) Well I went on line and found tips I think will fit it and have different styles to choose from. Here is the question ! Has anyone used this unit before and have any suggestions for what heat setting to use on a circuit board?

Here is a pic of the solder tips I ordered. Which one looks the best for circuit board work. Going from Left- Right

Attachments

• Solder Tips.jpeg
    Solder Tips.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 3
for what you are working on, I would use the chisel tip, the one in the middle. I run 750 degrees or so.
Thanks for the tip. Yes I didn't like the pointed tip and the middle one does look better but I will have to practice on a old computer equipment circuit board especially with that solder sucker because I never used on before. The unit has a 700 Fahrenheit and a 800 Fahrenheit setting but I will try half way in between. I'm in no hurry to make a mess. LOL

That unit and 50 watts should be plenty good for small occasional work. The conical tip will also work just fine for the clarifier job you'll be doing.

I get that you're wanting to be prepared well but you're over thinking it my friend. Fire that bad boy up and start playing with that pc board you have. Keep in mind, that galaxy board will probably flow easier than that computer pc.

I believe once you get it in action it'll motivate you.

I forgot to mention, that the Galaxy PCB material is crap. The copper is so thin, any real heat will bubble the board and the sharper thinner conical tips will actually tear the copper traces. When you get this done, and I suspect you will, you will have gained the self gratification of DIY. Good luck and enjoy the unlock, it is a must have mod.

SL

Reactions: whiteastro
I forgot to mention, that the Galaxy PCB material is crap. The copper is so thin, any real heat will bubble the board and the sharper thinner conical tips will actually tear the copper traces. When you get this done, and I suspect you will, you will have gained the self gratification of DIY. Good luck and enjoy the unlock, it is a must have mod.

SL
Thanks for the encouragement and that's what I keep hearing from all of you that are into radios,about Unlocking. And I have read about tearing up a PCB also that is why I want to get a feel for it on scrap first. I wish my Lady friend hadn't passed away because she was a master at circuit board work, and easy on the eyes also. LOL

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
That unit and 50 watts should be plenty good for small occasional work. The conical tip will also work just fine for the clarifier job you'll be doing.
That's why I didn't spend a fortune on a soldering station because it will be like you said Occasional and my little 40 watt Weller is still good for the portable needs. Plus I have 2 bigger irons also for the bigger jobs. Too many toys to work with. LOL

Reactions: Eldorado828
That's why I didn't spend a fortune on a soldering station because it will be like you said Occasional and my little 40 watt Weller is still good for the portable needs. Plus I have 2 bigger irons also for the bigger jobs. Too many toys to work with. LOL
The chinese soldering stations out there now, are knock off's of Hakko and Xytronic. They are pretty good for PCB rework from what I hear, as I don't own any knock off's. I suspect your 32 buck station is better than an old school Weller iron, because it is temperature controlled. You got a deal on that cheapo though!

The chinese soldering stations out there now, are knock off's of Hakko and Xytronic. They are pretty good for PCB rework from what I hear, as I don't own any knock off's. I suspect your 32 buck station is better than an old school Weller iron, because it is temperature controlled. You got a deal on that cheapo though!

I don't really like buying the Chinese stuff but I have to be realistic because I am on fixed income and can't afford Top Shelf. When I was still in the working world Employers you couldn't count on them to be around so I had to buy tools to get started with in case I had to become self employed and figured I could replace them later with good stuff if need be. My big tools I did buy the Good stuff because I figured they would be the Bread & Butter of a operation. I will say I have seen Harbor Freight stuff get better over the years and some of the cheap stuff just needs a little polishing. I still have a working air grease gun 40 years old in my garage. End of Rant LOL

I don't really like buying the Chinese stuff but I have to be realistic because I am on fixed income and can't afford Top Shelf. When I was still in the working world Employers you couldn't count on them to be around so I had to buy tools to get started with in case I had to become self employed and figured I could replace them later with good stuff if need be. My big tools I did buy the Good stuff because I figured they would be the Bread & Butter of a operation. I will say I have seen Harbor Freight stuff get better over the years and some of the cheap stuff just needs a little polishing. I still have a working air grease gun 40 years old in my garage. End of Rant LOL

My point, was not to knock your new soldering station. I am going to guess that it is really good based on the cost. If you have any idea what my solder rework tools cost when they were new, you might have a cardiac event. It is just nuts what can be had now for the cost of a new tip for my stuff.

SL

My point, was not to knock your new soldering station. I am going to guess that it is really good based on the cost. If you have any idea what my solder rework tools cost when they were new, you might have a cardiac event. It is just nuts what can be had now for the cost of a new tip for my stuff.

SL
I took no offense to your previous post. I was making a statement. Everything is good on this end. I was happy I didn't have to spend $50.00 on something I will hardly use because I won't be in business doing solder work.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.