• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX radios

T

tommy2watt

Dont get me wrong, i love all the ones i had (once they are working).

Bought a dx99v 2 1/2 years ago and it worked fine until i sold it to get something newer.

got a dx44v for my girl about 1 1/2 years ago, that also works fine.

here is where the problems begin.

bought a 45mp and it was not working out of the box, had to repair traces and echo not plugged in all the way causing it not to function.

got a second 45mp from RR and it had a diode come loose on the back of the board during shipping from a cold solder joint, which would have gone un-noticed if i hadnt opened the radio to see what he did.

just got a dx99v that came out of the box, to the bench and back in the frigging box! WTF! transmits on ssb but not am, seems like the mode selector. No output whatsoever on am. i got a RMA # and sent it back to galaxy today.

These radios have taken a steep dive in quality lately. and its a damn shame, because i love the look,feel and sound of them.

That QC sticker on the back also means nothing, what a joke.

oh, btw the guy i spoke to on the phone from galaxy radio repair said he has been very busy lately.. hahaha no wonder. he was very nice and told me a few times he was sorry about my bunk radio.

oh well, at least they are gonna ship it back for free.

tommy2watt.gif
</p>

I just sent my Galaxy DX 94HP in and had it aligned, had the low power dead key set to 2 watts and the max power dead key set to 10 watts. But, it modulates to nearly 120 watts when turned wide open. He also fixed a few solder places he found that wasn't so great, Anyway, it's working great. Very clear and loud modulation.

I wouldn't take a galaxy radio if it was free nowadays. About 8 months ago i bought three, and they all had problems out of the box. In the old days they were good, now RCI aka galaxy has gone so cheap on their parts and labor the end product is a joke. Galaxy and rci are done.

My newest export is a 2950DX that I picked up in 2009? Maybe 2008? Not sure...
Anyway... it developed an issue transmitting on SSB about 6 months after I got it and I waited too long for warranty work and I ended up sending it it Rolling Radios to look at for me as I'm not good with the surface mount stuff. It's been all good since.
I don't know that I would want anything newer than that.
I have a few old President exports and my Galaxy Pluto (yes it's a planet :D ), and I really have no use for the newer rigs. I don't need the high power in the radio as I have pretty much any amp I need, and I have enough features and frequencies to talk anywhere.

I'd be lying by saying I don't own any ranger made radios. In the collection are Ranger, Galaxy, Texas Ranger and Mirage radios but they've all been gone through and working correctly. A few of those never worked correctly out of the box which was a huge disappointment but after fixing them now they do. That said...... the ones in the collection I really like but no more Ranger made for me.

Of the Anytone, President, Stryker and CRT radios in the collection, they've all worked as advertised right out of the box. All of them made by Qixiang so it seems they're doing something right. After some work the Galaxy will talk big all over the big road but you shouldn't have to work on a radio for it to do what it's supposed to do.

Just saying.....

Thats because Chinese know how to assemble and produce electronics. They are the leader in the industry and believe it or not they do know what they are doing. We just see the cheap crap because thats what American companies pay them for. Now as far as rci (galaxy), and a couple others, they went to vietnam. Hahahaha really? Now those guys have absolutely no clue on what they are doing. Vietnam, pshhh give me a break. Thats why its all complete garbage.

Reactions: radioreddz
Quixing is not doing bad, they seem to be willing to listen to feedback and develop better stuff.
Jim Peng (Ranger)seems to be stuck in a rut, kind of sad because when they came out with the 2950 it was a good radio for the time period.
If they had continued to improve it would have been better, but they seem to get stuck on the 6900xx boards and then went cheap.
When they built the 6 meter radio I thought they might continue forward but......
The 2950dxcf that my brother bought had issues right out of the box.
His quad 6 has not missed a lick since unboxing it, and I have been very happy with the SS9900.

Jeff

I really like the dx 99 and 88, but I would probaby be better off with a silver face president Jackson.
Ranger picked a bad time to drop fm from their radios. And 1 or 2 finals is enough for me, lets keep the heat out of the radios.

I really like the dx 99 and 88, but I would probaby be better off with a silver face president Jackson.
Ranger picked a bad time to drop fm from their radios. And 1 or 2 finals is enough for me, lets keep the heat out of the radios.
Don't get stuck on the color of the face on the president radios because there is zero difference between the silver and black faced radios. Same board, same everything.
Now the later ones they changed things up and added a 6th band, ASC (automatic squelch control) and removed the PA. Again offering them in both silver and black faced versions.
It's all about aesthetics, nothing more.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
Don't get stuck on the color of the face on the president radios because there is zero difference between the silver and black faced radios. Same board, same everything.
Now the later ones they changed things up and added a 6th band, ASC (automatic squelch control) and removed the PA. Again offering them in both silver and black faced versions.
It's all about aesthetics, nothing more.
Yes you are right, But the silver face would match my washington :)

Reactions: 999
Oh well, we will see what the Mena Arkansas hamfest brings. I am going to try for my ticket so I can do tech work and hopefully score some kind of cool vintage eport radio, and a d104 dynamic for my d201 project. A pair of 8950s wouldent hurt either .

T Now as far as rci (galaxy), and a couple others, they went to vietnam. Hahahaha really? Now those guys have absolutely no clue on what they are doing. Vietnam, pshhh give me a break. Thats why its all complete garbage.
Maybe they picked the wrong factory in Vietnam? All of the Presidents are made in that country and seem to be decent quality.

Reactions: r carl

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated