• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX86V high cut filter help

groundwire

Jul 19, 2014
Does anyone know where the circuit board connection points are for the high cut filter mod on a galaxy dx86v? I want to put a cap in there permanently, (no switch) to get rid of that nasty frying bacon sound on receive. I figure i will try different value caps until i get a good tone. I just need to find out where it goes. I could only find one video on it and no other info anywhere. I cant trust just one video. Thanks for help...

I just put one on my Cobra 18 just last week for shots and giggles!

Followed Mikes video and put a capacitor on the middle prong of the on/off wiper and grounded to a pot. Worked great!!

Not sure if this will help you but it might being that the board is very similar. This is from a mirage mx-36hp3, and the clipped resistor in the j4 location changes the tone. From the factory it was clipped so after the discovery I simply replaced it to see what would happen. It got rid of the frying bacon and actually turned out to be a much better listening experience.
It has no on/off but didn't really need to turn it off
20191228_111214.jpg 20191207_091930.jpg

Not sure if this will help you but it might being that the board is very similar. This is from a mirage mx-36hp3, and the clipped resistor in the j4 location changes the tone. From the factory it was clipped so after the discovery I simply replaced it to see what would happen. It got rid of the frying bacon and actually turned out to be a much better listening experience.
It has no on/off but didn't really need to turn it off
would you happen to know what the value of C41, and the value of the TO/GA resistor is? the 86v is missing that cap and the TO/GA resistor. i cant find a schematic on the mirage

Ahh, "Take Off/Go Around"???

When you're pushing Tin, gotta' keep your mind on the task at hand....
(y):ROFLMAO:(y)

(...It's one of those quirks I could not quite understand about those "Designations"...One day a guy at the shop helped me understand "Although some see this and think Ok, TO - Georgia - it would work depending on where you put the radio in the "Galaxy Of Things". This meaning, having to be sent back to a distribution hub after the refurb - being GA really meant Ground Audio - referring to the larger ground plane it was using for filtering by the Audio Chip - or to the very large ground plane surface area GA was connected to.)

Like this...
1644677589106.png
There is that ""Break" in the trace - so if you encounter problems or the effort doesn't work - investigate for that broken trace.

To Help:
TO is meant for the boards that had a TONE switch on the front - Archaic but people used it for "J9" Roger Beep switch - if the board supported it.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated