• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX86V mods

New member here, and I was also looking at the DX86V.
After reading what Handy Andy posted I wonder if I should get a 959.Only interested in through hole technology and ssb.Was looking at 86V to convert to 11m and have a bit more power. All my radios (all older Cobra 148gtl's and UNIDEN grant XL) are side mikes. I really want to thank the more experienced members like Handy Andy, Slomover and many others for the knowledge and experience that they share.
73'

I own

86V
99v2

and the 979/86V are best where space constraints exist.

The 86V especially where an outboard amp isn’t desirable. (With a great mobile antenna setup one wouldn’t find any lack. The guys & gals doing pilot car work — see CabOverBob posts — really shine with dual-final radios).

The 86V I compare more to my 99v2.

Set the 979 for the tiny KL-203 outboard amp.

With RM ITALY KL-series amps, the large-case 959b radio can take on anyone. Side Mic Rules!
So the 959b edges the 99v2 slightly, IMO, where maximum signal intelligibility is concerned.

The 99v2 is simply the most fun all around
(and self-contained power).

I’d miss owning any of them. But I’d miss the 99v2 and 959b most of all.

WELCOME! (and, thanks!)

Note: (For Shadetree Mechanic). Spent some road miles in Iowa (daylight) with an Oversized and a Chatty Cathy pilot driver. She zoomed past me both directions in her F150 to see a dog in the pax seat of a pickup had passed us all. Cheap wire antenna on Port Tailgate Corner Mount. A lot better performance than what I expected. Meaning, that’s a location worthy of your consideration.

While I think roof mount the location worth all the effort in a good install, if I didn’t have a topper on my 8’ bed, I’d put something there, even if not first team (CB Scanner?)

Last edited:
Thanks Slomover. What is the difference between the 959 and the 959B? Indeed side mike rules (I had a chance to buy a UNIDEN grant LT)but instead I got another 148gtl(Taiwan) couldn't get past the front mike and not being made like the XL. Room for me is not an issue but appreciate advice between a "glorified" CB (10m converted to 11m) or CB with an AMP.
Funny you mention rm Italy that would have been my next question. Feel free to tell me when I go off topic and should start another post.

Reactions: Slowmover
Thanks Slomover. What is the difference between the 959 and the 959B? Indeed side mike rules (I had a chance to buy a UNIDEN grant LT)but instead I got another 148gtl(Taiwan) couldn't get past the front mike and not being made like the XL. Room for me is not an issue but appreciate advice between a "glorified" CB (10m converted to 11m) or CB with an AMP.
Funny you mention rm Italy that would have been my next question. Feel free to tell me when I go off topic and should start another post.

The thread is about the 86v (as revived by Shadetree Mechanic), so we shouldn’t get too far afield from interest in that unit.

My post above, maybe it’s some compare & contrast of AM/SSB Galaxy radios placing the 86v in context.

Sure, start your own thread. ForestRunner98 has an Odyssean epic thread starting with his Cobra 18 WXST . He started from scratch (enjoy it).

My latest too-wordy-for-too-many-readers thread is on SIDE MIC. More my surprise and some tail-pulling. (See that about -b model).

Gather up thoughts and lay out the corners of your initial goals. I kinda know about use of CB Radio not quite to the exclusion of tech concerns. About which are MANY here worth your time in reading.

If my journey is at all instructive I’d like to think it’s in being willing to experiment. Despite expense. Result is that I hadn’t guessed at how much better a big truck radio system could be . . . but the real surprise was HOW MUCH MORE I enjoyed it. (Which cancelled cost:benefit ratio).

Last edited:
Kind if what I'm doing while we can. As unstable as everything is we better or we'll lose out if it all falls flat. That's the way for me to justify the 959 that was just ordered. Do I need it? Not right now but if it's needed then it will be there... And a good match for the 503hd that's on stand by.
I am using the same logic to justify buying a 959 as well.
With everything going on, you just don't know when it will be too late: Not available, Out of stock, Components shortage to build them... Discontinued?
When you have it you have it and the "extras ones" can also be used for trading(if necessary).

I am using the same logic to justify buying a 959 as well.
With everything going on, you just don't know when it will be too late: Not available, Out of stock, Components shortage to build them... Discontinued?
When you have it you have it and the "extras ones" can also be used for trading(if necessary).
Do it to it is my perspective right now because credible sources are telling me the radio drought will only get worse. Ranger will be dumping some batches here soon but how long they'll last who knows.

Where you'll find a 959 is a good question though, they seem to be pretty scarce right now.

The question is, has one covered the range of comms via CB with family?

Every one of their homes and vehicles?

Out in the barn or workshop? The kitchen?

Does your church pastor have this?

Please consider covering the range.

That's a great point Slowmover, and I'm with you.

Base station - check
Vehicles-check
Radios to distribute to family-check
Mobile antennas-check
Extra base antennas-check
Spool of 8x-check
Crimp connectors-check
Tons of other aaccessories-check

Sounds crazy, but look around......

Better to be caught prepared

But you bring up the pastor, something I hadn't considered....

Reactions: Slowmover
That's a great point Slowmover, and I'm with you.

Base station - check
Vehicles-check
Radios to distribute to family-check
Mobile antennas-check
Extra base antennas-check
Spool of 8x-check
Crimp connectors-check
Tons of other aaccessories-check

Sounds crazy, but look around......

Better to be caught prepared

But you bring up the pastor, something I hadn't considered....

Your town isn’t huge. It’d be great to have cast a net over a known area via messages relayed.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.