• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX86V mods

Just put a 10k across C158, initial testing sounds great. Getting ready to put it on the scope in the shack.

View attachment 48710 View attachment 48711

The scope revealed that I could turn the modulation all the way up, and if I tried with a whistle, I could get box cars. Talking normally, no box cars. I even turned the audio feedback pot all the way up to 5k, and it is loud and clean with the 636. I will put it side by side with one of my stock 86v with a power mic to compare.

Found this nugget of tuning information on the WWPDX website, where I am also a member. This is a quote from a Galaxy tech. You guys reading this should stop by and sign up. There is tons of information there.

http://www.wwpdx.com/ForumWWPDX/vie...h&sid=f349b6d393c843ec48211d7a6a74473a#p23962

As far as I can tell, the newer Galaxy radios have the double FET at L8. This includes the 86v, 959 and others.

One difference in the receiver section of our four new radios using the EPT690010Z/C boards is the addition of an extra FET in the receiver front end. While this added FET is partially responsible for increased receiver sensitivity it can also cause the receiver to be excessively noisy if tuning coil L8 is not adjusted properly. I have found during alignment that tuning L8 for a peak reading on the s-meter is not always the best method because this can increase the noise floor or sometimes called "hash" sound in a receiver. This is when a good signal generator and scope can really help but for those out there that don't have that luxury then simply tune L8 for a peak reading on the s-meter like normal. Now remove the antenna connector from the radio and then continue adjusting the core of L8 approx. 1/4 to 1/2 turn clockwise just until you hear the noise floor drop slightly. You may need to crank the volume control up for this last step.

Before you "de-sensitize", tuning L-8, get a fixed signal reading from another known station, do the tune, have them throw you a dead key, and just reset VR-1 (the 95-T's AM Meter adj.) to the original S reading you had before. Check on CBTricks.com for other model #'s to be sure....(Use non-conductive alignment tools, please!)

Found this nugget of tuning information on the WWPDX website, where I am also a member. This is a quote from a Galaxy tech. You guys reading this should stop by and sign up. There is tons of information there.

http://www.wwpdx.com/ForumWWPDX/vie...h&sid=f349b6d393c843ec48211d7a6a74473a#p23962

As far as I can tell, the newer Galaxy radios have the double FET at L8. This includes the 86v, 959 and others.

One difference in the receiver section of our four new radios using the EPT690010Z/C boards is the addition of an extra FET in the receiver front end. While this added FET is partially responsible for increased receiver sensitivity it can also cause the receiver to be excessively noisy if tuning coil L8 is not adjusted properly. I have found during alignment that tuning L8 for a peak reading on the s-meter is not always the best method because this can increase the noise floor or sometimes called "hash" sound in a receiver. This is when a good signal generator and scope can really help but for those out there that don't have that luxury then simply tune L8 for a peak reading on the s-meter like normal. Now remove the antenna connector from the radio and then continue adjusting the core of L8 approx. 1/4 to 1/2 turn clockwise just until you hear the noise floor drop slightly. You may need to crank the volume control up for this last step.

Before you "de-sensitize", tuning L-8, get a fixed signal reading from another known station, do the tune, have them throw you a dead key, and just reset VR-1 (the 95-T's AM Meter adj.) to the original S reading you had before. Check on CBTricks.com for other model #'s to be sure....(Use non-conductive alignment tools, please!)
Off topic, but I just noticed you have at this moment 6955 likes! Couldn't let that go to waste without a comment. Anyone who is or has ever been interested in shortwave pirate radio will know what I'm talking about.

Yes it does now...

Unfortunately the one that charges money is a rip off of the real CBTricks that is now defunct. At least that is what we all came to believe. Would it be strange that the Rip off site would have updated information that the real one did not?

Would you be able to share the information on the 86v here so all the 86v lovers around the world can have access to it?

Unfortunately the one that charges money is a rip off of the real CBTricks that is now defunct. At least that is what we all came to believe. Would it be strange that the Rip off site would have updated information that the real one did not?

Would you be able to share the information on the 86v here so all the 86v lovers around the world can have access to it?
Here is the web link. Tried to copy and paste. Hope it works but looks like it won't.
Galaxy DX 86V 10 Meter Radio (cb-tricks.com)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated