• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX88 low power

flatlander89

Feb 28, 2015
For the pros.Ive been working on an 88 that had a no power problem.replaced finals with original 2312,driver,and pre driver.adjusted bias to factory specs.radio now has 4w.swings to 12 and looks awesome on the scope.not trying to get crazy watts or swing but numbers are too low for dual final radio.voltages look good according to the charts I have except only .3v on base of TR43 and-0.0v on base of TR56.replaced C209 and C171 with no improvement.Where should I look next?TIA

The first thing I would do is re-check your bias settings and make sure they are correct.(May be too low) Then check your AM Lo carrier pot and AM Hi carrier pot and make sure they are adjusted correctly as per the alignment procedure. 1-3w on low 8-10w on high.

Thanks for the reply’s.that was peak reading with out modulation.2312s came from RFparts.forget if I got the 2166 from them or Barkett.readjusted bias settings to .64 volts at both finals base leads.still around 4 watt output.will do some checks tomorrow with the scope.thanks again for the help

Yep.tried it that way and also 50 mA per final from tp9 to tp7 as specified in the service manual.any advice on setting final bias is appreciated also

Check C166. If the radio is old enough, it will be a 820 pf ceramic disc capacitor. They tended to overheat and fail. The factory began using a silver-mica part in this spot in the late 90s. Those take the high RF current better, and don't generate as much heat.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.