• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX99v finals

May 5, 2020
Hello. I searched around a good bit before posting I hope this is in the right place. Anyways I have a 99v with blown finals. The driver is still good it has the 2312s for the dual finals. The 2166 driver is still good. I could simply order some hg finals but I have some NEW IRF520S on hand and I would like to just swap it over. I can't find much info on what to do to make it mosfet friendly. Any help is appreciated.

Reactions: Eldorado828

Hello. I searched around a good bit before posting I hope this is in the right place. Anyways I have a 99v with blown finals. The driver is still good it has the 2312s for the dual finals. The 2166 driver is still good. I could simply order some hg finals but I have some NEW IRF520S on hand and I would like to just swap it over. I can't find much info on what to do to make it mosfet friendly. Any help is appreciated.
Less power with the bipolar transistors but much nicer audio. I've got some 1969's but no 2312. Those 99's sound nice on the receiving end!

Reactions: jrd426
It's not a direct replacement, you have to make changes to use them.
Me, I would just order the HG replacements and call it good.

Jeff
I think I'm gonna still go for the mosfets but I completely understand your point. If I didn't have 20 new mosfets I wouldn't swap. I know that they aren't a direct replacement but I know they can Def be converted.

Pretty sure there is a step-by-step conversion published out there somewhere, complete with the parts list.

We don't do that conversion, so I don't have a link to it. Gargle might.

Or you could start with the schematic for the pre-2006 radio with the old parts, and the schematic for the MOSFET later radio. Just pull out the parts that aren't on the new schematic, and install the ones on the new diagram that the old radio didn't have.

I think I'm gonna still go for the mosfets but I completely understand your point. If I didn't have 20 new mosfets I wouldn't swap. I know that they aren't a direct replacement but I know they can Def be converted.
CBT had the ekl mod version that might be available through the way back machine. It was for their original erf 2030 but just sub the 520 instead.
The mosfet mods were all the craze circa 2007 so ekl Eric Lewis banked on it.

Reactions: brandon parker
Less power with the bipolar transistors but much nicer audio. I've got some 1969's but no 2312. Those 99's sound nice on the receiving end!
I'm gonna see what I cna do with the mosfets I got all kinds and I know drail can do some impressive stuff with them. Great output and still clean.
This may help, good luck.

Jeff
OK so this is the same as a connex 3400 or a general lee. It must be a little older because the board looks a little different but now that I'm looking at it yea that info you posted helps tremendously ty shockwave. Your the man brother

Pretty sure there is a step-by-step conversion published out there somewhere, complete with the parts list.

We don't do that conversion, so I don't have a link to it. Gargle might.

Or you could start with the schematic for the pre-2006 radio with the old parts, and the schematic for the MOSFET later radio. Just pull out the parts that aren't on the new schematic, and install the ones on the new diagram that the old radio didn't have.

Good advice thanks nomad!

3600b board, pre mosfet and used the 7222 audio ic. I always liked that board and dang near every radio made by Ranger at the time used it. Was capable of am and ssb with tons of mods to make things fun.

Reactions: brandon parker
3600b board, pre mosfet and used the 7222 audio ic. I always liked that board and dang near every radio made by Ranger at the time used it. Was capable of am and ssb with tons of mods to make things fun.
Yea they are a great board I'm glad I have the info I needed. But I suppose now it would've been really easy to jjst copy it from the other 3 radios here with the same board and mosfets lol I have to run another 30 lbs in the lab today but tonight I very much look forward to getting this thing going. Thank you all for chiming in this site is the best

The Galaxy 99v is such a classic old school radio, yours just needs just a new set of 1969's or 2312's and it can be everything it's supposed to be. I sure hate to see it get all hacked/modified up so you can run .75 cents worth of mosfets you have sitting there. But it's your radio and your call.

Think of your radio as a 1970 Chevelle SS396 or Boss 302 Mustang with a bad cylinder. Just re-build the motor and your good. Some people though will yank the motor out and go with a modern EFI computer controlled engine. All kinds of systems will need to be upgraded and modified for that to work.

Anyway good luck in which ever route you go.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.