• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX99V2 VS Stryker 955HP

I assumed this thread was not started about Amateur radio vs Export radio :rolleyes:

Back on topic, With the new 99V2, I hope Galaxy addressed the nasty "birdie" (internal carrier interference) around 27.115 AM (Ch 13) that occurred in the older version 99V boards. Ch 13 just happens to be our home channel for classic CB radios and I'm unable to run any variant of the old 99V there due to that issue. This was not limited to the 99V model, but any other galaxy radio based on the same main board.

I had an older 99V on the bench last night and started swapping out the 13.560 Mhz crystal for a 14.010 Mhz crystal. If that works to move the "birdie" up the band, I have a few more similar rigs that need that modification.

They aren't legitimate amateur radios at all. They're CBs dressed up as amateur radios to get around regulations. Legitimate amateur radios don't come with roger beeps and they come with proper VFO tuning.

The 2950's do have stupid roger beeps( tinkerbells as I call them) thankfully with an off switch, BUT, they do offer VFO tuning. However, it can't tune below 100 Hz since it's only a 6 digit frequency counter. Many other new radios like the Optima and Anytones I have seen have only 5 digit counters.

These radio's also are CTCSS tone board ready with split frequency for repeater work but you have to purchase and install the board yourself which I had done to mine.

Here in the U.S., the FCC has recently recognized them as legitimate amateur radios after many legal challenges. I can email you my saved email of a direct response from the FCC offices regarding this subject when I contacted them about this very subject years ago.

You may have seen the RCI 5054DX 6 METER radio which has the same layout as these and that has never been questioned as being a glorified CB since it isn't capable of any frequencies even close to 11 meters.
http://www.hamstation.com/rci5054.htm

All the other Galaxy, Connex, and Strykers and many others are exactly as you said, being dressed up to get around regulations and I wouldn't recommend them at all to be used on the amateur bands .

I brought up the RCI 2950 since the OP mentioned 10 meter use and could be a licensed amateur and these are good for a low cost entry level SSB 10 meter radio and would be a better choice as such than the Galaxy or Stryker that he was questioning.

Cheers!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Here we go again....The amateur ops get there feelings hurt..:rolleyes:

My feelings aren't hurt. I'm not the one who will be forking out stupid money for a CB masquerading as an amateur radio in order to get around FCC regulations and convincing themselves they're getting amateur radio performance.

If you think a RCI or Optima or any of the CB style 10m radios are amateur radios then you have never owned one. Had you done you'd be under no doubt that these are CBs. The only difference between them and a CB is that they implement a mickey mouse VFO.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck its a duck.

Reactions: NZ8N
a CB masquerading as an amateur radio in order to get around FCC regulations and convincing themselves they're getting amateur radio performance.

I know I never said that or implied it.

I only suggested to the OP since he is obviously looking for a low cost SSB radio to use on 10 meters that the RCI 2950 is a good choice since these are inexpensive and are much better on SSB than those other ones he was looking at. As said already, the FCC has determined that these 2900 series radios are legitimate amateur radios but that doesn't mean the rival or even come close to even an Alinco HF radio.

Even a used TS-50 in good working order is rare to find for less than $500. For that price I would buy a new FT 450D which can be had now for under $700. with all the rebates applied.

Would you call this RCI 6 meter radio a amateur radio?

i1005278.jpg

Last edited:
... the FCC has recently recognized them as legitimate amateur radios after many legal challenges. I can email you my saved email of a direct response from the FCC offices regarding this subject ...!

No need to e-mail anything, edit out the personal info and just post it here for everyone to read

this must be "new"

Last edited:
Would you call this RCI 6 meter radio a amateur radio?

i1005278.jpg

No. They've just tweaked their 11m set for 6m and still got a roger beep I see. Its also got no CTCSS so no using 6m repeaters and no pre-amp which is a must. Selectivity is a joke at -55dB which wouldn't even make Sherwood Engineering's receiver test data table and that has radios on from the 1960s.

No. They've just tweaked their 11m set for 6m and still got a roger beep I see. Its also got no CTCSS so no using 6m repeaters and no pre-amp which is a must. Selectivity is a joke at -55dB which wouldn't even make Sherwood Engineering's receiver test data table and that has radios on from the 1960s.

Interesting,

It takes a little more than tweaking to make a 11 meter radio receive and transmit on 6 meters. The RCI 5054 radio was designed to be a 6 meter transceiver from the start even though it uses the same chassis as the 2900 series, it will not open up and transmit anywhere near 11 meters.

Like the 2900 series, the radio is CTCSS capable with split frequency but you have to purchase and install the CTCSS board yourself. Ranger will do this for $40.00 but you have to purchase the board yourself and send them the radio.

The older vintage 6 meter amateur radio's didn't all have CTCSS or preamps like the one pictured below. So this one shouldn't be a amateur radio either, right?

$_1.JPG

As far as comparing a modern or vintage HF rig to these RCI's there is no comparison as I already said.

How about this radio, not an amateur radio either?

front.jpg

This one comes with a factory installed CTCSS board which comes on when the repeater button is selected and in FM mode. It also goes into -100 KHz split mode automatically too. All this is done simply by pushing the RPT button.

Notice it has VFO tuning and RIT controls and a handy TX button, and look! no tinker bell! (roger beep). Unfortunately no preamp, but I hardly use them on my IC-7000 and TS-590.

I have 2 of these and they work ok for 10 meters.

We hijacked the thread long enough so I won't continue trying to convince you that the 2900 series RCI radios are legitimate low cost bare bones amateur radios.

We"ll agree to disagree, Good day mate!

The 5054 was developed by Ranger at my request. In talking with a Kenwood dealer back in 1999, he indicated that if Ranger could make a single band 6 meter radio for use by new licensees at price X, then he believed about 150 units could be sold per month. In order to get that price point, certain sacrifices had to be made. The dealer was exactly right as to the number of units to be sold at that price point. The radio was always intended to be marketed strictly as an Amateur radio, aiming at the new licensee market

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
The 5054 was developed by Ranger at my request. In talking with a Kenwood dealer back in 1999, he indicated that if Ranger could make a single band 6 meter radio for use by new licensees at price X, then he believed about 150 units could be sold per month. In order to get that price point, certain sacrifices had to be made. The dealer was exactly right as to the number of units to be sold at that price point. The radio was always intended to be marketed strictly as an Amateur radio, aiming at the new licensee market

Reactions: Slowmover
hi....do you know where i can find a 2nd hand mint 6m ranger? Im looking to get on this band with loop antennas

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.