• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy Echo Desk Mic Vs. D104

I've heard them, and they sound good. will it sound as good as the D104? I don't think so.
you can still find an echomax 2000 for a decent price on ebay, I paid 180$-ish for mine brand new.
The D-104 is a excellent mic but it's frequency response is very limited. This works out ok if you're only running AM. If you are planning on running SSB then the audio from the 104 falls apart quickly.Here is a fix for the 104 that greatly improves the response curve of the 104 and creates a more natural sounding mic.

The D-104 is a excellent mic but it's frequency response is very limited. This works out ok if you're only running AM. If you are planning on running SSB then the audio from the 104 falls apart quickly.

can't prove it by me. nothing but good reports, not quite worldwide, but I'm working on it.

can't prove it by me. nothing but good reports, not quite worldwide, but I'm working on it.
I never said the D-104 doesn't work on SSB it's just there are a lot better mics for side band then the 104. The stock 104 is a fairly shrill sounding mic on SSB. If you like the look of the 104 then get a 10-DA head for it that was made for side band work.

Good luck on being world wide..I am and it's fun....:)

73's

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I like this style of desk mic, although the echo is not for me. Echo on SSB makes voice unintelligible to me. But I wonder if it will work with the 2985, a six pin Mic attachment, but it also has channel switching from the Mic and I have found that not all mics will work with that feature in the radio. For instance, the Uniden 980 mic is a very nice mic, but when I tried it on the 2985, the radio just spun through the channels without stop.

The D-104 has a frequency response that definitely favours the high end. using the standard audio reference frequency of 1 KHz the D-104 attenuates frequencies around 100 Hz as much as 10 dB while accentuating frequencies around 3 KHz by 10 dB or more. This means a difference of as much as 20 dB from low end to high end of the normal voice communications bandwidth. This is further affected to one degree or another by any impedance mismatch between the microphone and the radio. Some people have a voice that is the opposite and it all works out. My voice has more highs in it however the stock D104 sounds fantastic on my Kenwood TS-820S when used with a small amount of compression. This is coming from a broadcast engineer with whom I worked with for over 20 years. Dave knows my voice and what good audio should sound like. On my Heath DX-60 AM transmitter I ran the d104 through an equalizer with a response curve the exact opposite of the microphone, boosting the lows by as much as 10 dB and cutting the highs as much as 10 dB. Since the freq. response was flat and the DX-60 audio input as wide as a barn door it sounded great as well but with a completely different response curve from the EQ. Every radio has a different response curve as does every voice and every microphone. The trick is to bring all three variables together into what sounds the best for YOU and your RADIO. This may be completely useless for someone else.

D-104 response curve.

ASTATIC_Base_D104_Frequency_Response.gif

Reactions: 1 person
I use a sadelta or a d104 on AM. I think the galaxy is the same as my sadelta. I think the delta sounds as good as the d104 and alsobworks great on SSB it youbturn the gain down. I don't use echo so that don't have anything to do with me running one.

I have seen guys build a box with mic plugs installed. an input for whatever mic you want and an output for the rig. The turbo echo is then installed and you are all set. or just install the turbo echo in your 2000.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.