• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy + MV4 Messenger + a Siro 3/8 = what a combo

70cst

Dec 4, 2009
I recently got my 99 hooked up to my MV4 Messenger amp. What a combo. I have been told that my TX is very clear plus the RX is much better than the Wilson 5000 ... Not sure what my output is - I keep it on the mid selector switch. I have the remote for it but don't think I will need it at this time. Sometimes old is better.
As far as antenna - I am using a Siro 3/8 mag mount with a brass connector that I use for folding the antenna down. I have tried a couple Siro 5000PL's but both froze in position that I could not fold it down.

Attachments

• Galaxy 99 Installed.png
    Galaxy 99 Installed.png
    449.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Messenger Installed .png
    Messenger Installed .png
    544.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Siro Roof .jpg
    Siro Roof .jpg
    48 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco

I think that amp is a 1x8 with all 1446 finals. Keep the drive low on that Galaxy 99. If that's a mag mount your really pushing the limits there. Probably be better drilling a hole and going with a direct mount antenna.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Yep, what 9C1Driver said. 20W PEP max into that Messenger M4V, otherwise you WILL eventually smoke the driver transistor. That 20W max PEP is for all modes, AM and SSB. Deadkey should be only about 2W or so for AM.

~Cheers~

Reactions: 222DBFL
Nice setup man!! Keep it clean and mean!! That amp will last a long time if you keep the drive low. Don't worry about output power or watching the watt meter needle dance!! 1-2 watts DK on AM, and 12-20 watts pep will get you out just fine!! Again, nice setup. You could use a hard mount eventually I'd venture to say. Or make sure your coax is at least upgraded to some LMR240 on the mag mount. At approx. 600 watts I don't know if I would trust the stock Sirio coax. It's very easy to change out the coax as well on those magnet mounts, the PL145 that is. Which it appears you are using. Other then that, looks very nice!! And I bet it does the job quite well!! Thx for posting up the pics. Have a good one.

And yes I am one to go for overkill on coax. Better to have and not need, then to need and not have!! Again. That is JMHO.
Have yourself a good one and enjoy that setup!!!

Thanks all ... the DK is about 1.5 - 2 w. The Siro can well take the demands of this amp. The mag mount is the only option as this is a company truck. As mentioned I leave the MV4 on mid range setting. I am getting a lot of positive feedback with this Messenger. It doesn't draw as many amps as a amp with a 2789 pills. At least that is what I have been told.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.